Water Dropping Helicopters

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited November 16, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Not sure if the National news is covering the fires here in Los Angeles. A couple of weeks back, there were major fires here in Porter Ranch, where I live. Luckily, my home was never really in danger. Still very scary because I could see the mountains on fire from my backyard and my neighborhood was full of smoke and ash.

Well, the Santa Ana winds are back and so are the fires. This time, a little further East of me in a city named Sylmar. Again, my neighborhood is full of smoke and ash. This fire has been worse. Has claimed over 1000 homes. No reports of human loss, thank God.

I was driving by a local park and stumbled across the LA Fire Dept. refilling the water dropping helicopters. Luckily, I had my camera with me and I was able to take a few shots. Unfortunately, I only had my 17-70mm lens so I couldn't get really tight shots. I even got yelled at a point for trying to get in too close.

All shots were taken with a D300 & Sigma 17-70mm.

417765735_sK9b5-XL.jpg

417764076_Yh3GY-XL.jpg

417780328_dg7nf-XL.jpg

417746742_sos55-XL.jpg

417760650_GXE43-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    Very nice, Anon. Good thing you had your camera with you. I really like number two. thumb.gif

A sad day. I live in the San Gabriel Valley, and I'm watching the Brea fire work it's was a bit further south of me. I can smell it, even inside my home. The Corona/Yorba Linda fire, along with too many homes, has also destroyed a park where a big, yearly custom truck show, that my brother attends, is held.

Keep up the good work. clap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Very nice, Anon. Good thing you had your camera with you. I really like number two. thumb.gif

A sad day. I live in the San Gabriel Valley, and I'm watching the Brea fire work it's was a bit further south of me. I can smell it, even inside my home. The Corona/Yorba Linda fire, along with too many homes, has also destroyed a park where a big, yearly custom truck show, that my brother attends, is held.

Keep up the good work. clap.gif

Thanks!! It was quite cool to watch and especially to have my camera too. My wife makes fun of me because I rarely leave the house now with my camera. She was with me and I couldn't help to give her one of those "who's the nerd now" kind of looks when we drove by the park and saw the helies. BTW, I took all of those on full manual!! Aside from the crop, no PP on them. wings.gif

It's scary how many horrible fires we've had lately. Yeah, the smell is pretty bad here too. The smell from the last fire hung around for about a week. Then it rained and that brought back the smell again. It's funny because the ash from this fire seems worse than the last, even though it's further away.

I just hope no one loses their life before they can put them out. :(:
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Not sure if the National news is covering the fires here in Los Angeles. A couple of weeks back, there were major fires here in Porter Ranch, where I live. Luckily, my home was never really in danger. Still very scary because I could see the mountains on fire from my backyard and my neighborhood was full of smoke and ash.

Well, the Santa Ana winds are back and so are the fires. This time, a little further East of me in a city named Sylmar. Again, my neighborhood is full of smoke and ash. This fire has been worse. Has claimed over 1000 homes. No reports of human loss, thank God.

I was driving by a local park and stumbled across the LA Fire Dept. refilling the water dropping helicopters. Luckily, I had my camera with me and I was able to take a few shots. Unfortunately, I only had my 17-70mm lens so I couldn't get really tight shots. I even got yelled at a point for trying to get in too close.

All shots were taken with a D300 & Sigma 17-70mm.

Aren't you glad they have such wonderful machines to fight fires with these days.... imagine if they had to fight by hand like they did in years gone by.

Hooray for Fire fighters and volunteers who risk their all to put these fires out.

Hopefully they will get the fires under control quickly, without loss of lives.

Got some good on the scene shots there, hope all goes well thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin