Options

jpg as raw?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 16, 2008 in Finishing School
Why would CS3 suddenly start opening a jpg in the RAW editor?

I've been playing with lightroom on some files - does LR have some kind of tag it embeds or something? If not, is there a setting I can change or something I can do to make it stop?!? The file is *definitely* a .jpg file. For sure. Shot as a jpg, edited as a jpg, saved as a jpg.

All very strange....

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    Check your Camera Raw preferences in Bridge.

Bridge has a menu choice - Camera Raw Preferences - at the bottom is a box that is probably checked for Alway open jpgs in RAW - Uncheck that box.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Check your Camera Raw preferences in Bridge.

Bridge has a menu choice - Camera Raw Preferences - at the bottom is a box that is probably checked for Alway open jpgs in RAW - Uncheck that box.

Sorry for stupid question but is bridge in LR or PS? Tx! (also, this doesn't explain why it's only ONE image which is doing this, but I'll hunt around and see if I can find it!)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Sorry for stupid question but is bridge in LR or PS? Tx! (also, this doesn't explain why it's only ONE image which is doing this, but I'll hunt around and see if I can find it!)
    Bridge is a component of the PS package. And, you're right, it wouldn't explain the behavior applying to only one JPG file. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    Bridge is a component of the PS package. And, you're right, it wouldn't explain the behavior applying to only one JPG file. headscratch.gif

I was able to get this result by intentionally opening a JPG in Bridge as a RAW file, making some changes with ACR and clicking Done. When I opened it in CS3, it opened in ACR.

So I'm guessing that at some point you opened that file in ACR. BTW, there's no harm done here...just click Open in ACR and CS3 will open the file normally.

EDIT: I don't use LR so I have no way of testing this, but I strongly suspect that editing a JPG in LR would yield the same result. So if you played with the file in LR, CS3 would open it with ACR (which is the used by both programs). Again, no harm done, just click Open in ACR.
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    EDIT: I don't use LR so I have no way of testing this, but I strongly suspect that editing a JPG in LR would yield the same result. So if you played with the file in LR, CS3 would open it with ACR (which is the used by both programs). Again, no harm done, just click Open in ACR.

I've got LR and yes, you're right.

What's happening is if you run a jpeg through ACR (which is also what LR's develop module runs on), it writes the settings you set into the file as metadata. Then the next time you open the file in PS, it reads the metadata, goes "oh!" and hand the file over to ACR first. It's not destructive, ACR only saves calculation parameters.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I've got LR and yes, you're right.

What's happening is if you run a jpeg through ACR (which is also what LR's develop module runs on), it writes the settings you set into the file as metadata. Then the next time you open the file in PS, it reads the metadata, goes "oh!" and hand the file over to ACR first. It's not destructive, ACR only saves calculation parameters.

That's what I suspected! Thanks for confirming...

Thanks for the sleuthing, guys!