Ireland HDR

boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited November 16, 2008 in Landscapes
Another HDR image from trip to Ireland last year.
C&C welcomed.

418190172_HHnCr-L-0.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I like it a lot very nice grass colors and feel of photo is just amazing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Very nice image thumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    What does HDR offer you in an image like this (rather flat dynamic range in the scene) that a well exposed single image doesn't? I don't get it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    What does HDR offer you in an image like this (rather flat dynamic range in the scene) that a well exposed single image doesn't? I don't get it.

A great shot but I tend to agree. Why do you need a HDR shot for this image. I love the composition and once again a great shot.
    Regards
    Bob
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Everything I shot that day was pretty much exposed for the foreground on a bright, but overcast day.

Here is the original shot, as seen straight out of the camera (it was shot in RAW):

Ireland_compare.jpg

Here is the image with some post processing:

Ireland_compare-2.jpg

Though hard to see, the post processing it took to reveal the details in the sky and the foreground caused some ghosting around the treeline.

After I bought Photomatix I went back to some of the images from Ireland that I struggled with. I found that HDR didn't help much on most of the images I worked with, but this one struck me as particularly successful. I like it much better than any of my attempts to "save" this image in Photoshop Raw alone. I used three "exposures" of the same image, adjusting a stop and a half (I think) in Lightroom on either side of the original exposure and ran them through Photomatix:

418190172_HHnCr-L-0.jpg

The result, no ghosting and a more vivid image. I think the added "range" in the building ruins is what makes it POP.

I'm still new to HDR, so I'd be interested to hear if you agree after seeing the other images.

Thanks!
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I like it a lot very nice grass colors and feel of photo is just amazing

Thanks much! !