Options

Photography Magazine

kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited June 7, 2011 in The Big Picture
A search reveals some old thread about photography magazines, but as magazines change, and some new ones appear, and old ones lose popularity due to slipping standards, I thought I would bring this up again:

What photography magazine or magazines are you currently enjoying?
Do you subscribe to any good magazines?
Which do you find a waste of time, and not worth the subscription price?

I know you can get better and more up to date opinions and articles online... but sometimes it is nice to handle a paper version.

What say the folks?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    I subscribe to Rangefinder. On a regular basis, I pick up a UK based magazine, Outdoor Photography.
    View Camera and several others get the look and read if there's something I'm interested in.

I like to look through the pile at the book store but the vast majority seem to be more ad and fluff.

I enjoy shooting surf and pick up a quarterly called "Surfer's Journal" which often has some great photos in addition to great articles on the surf scene.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I currently read the following: Rangefinder, Professional Photographer, Digital Photographer (UK), Digital Camera World (UK), Digital Photo Pro, shutterbug, After Capture, Photoshop User, PDN and others that have specific article I am interested in....Only 2 are by subscription (Rangefinder and Professional Photographer) the rest I pick up for a specific article I am interested in.....I like outdoor photo (there is a Canadian pub and also an American pub..both very different), photo life is decent also, and for some kool fresh stuff JPG ......I have not found any use in petersens and pop photo in years.......then of course since I do landscapes and city scapes I look for non photo oriented mags of such interest...by non photo oriented....meaning mags not pointed at the photog...more like vacation mags or books about areas or countries I want to shot in for ideas and see what has already been shot to death.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    Times and budget have changed
    For many years I subscribed to many photo magazines -- Popular Photography & Imaging, Outdoor Photography, American Photo, PCPhoto, Photo Techniques, Popular Photography, Shutterbug, and I'm sure there were more. Mostly I wanted to get an idea of the pros and cons of each of them.

In the current climate where work, church and family have taken larger and larger chunks of my time and I've found what I like and don't like in these publications as well as the fact that my income has dropped by a HUGE amount due to the capital markets, I have cancelled all the subscriptions except for Outdoor Phtography, which was always my favorite. Next woud probably be Popular Photography, but to cut down on clutter and spend that one is gone as well.

Hope that helps.

Doug

P.S. We just moved to a different house and I cleaned out all the old issues, so I can't very well go back and look at them to tell you what I liked and/or didn't like about them. Sorry.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I subscribe to Shutterbug and Outdoor Photographer, and occasionally pick through any on the newsstand that peaks my curiousity.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    There a few good French magazines on the local market... but after a long day in the office, I am all Frenched out and would prefer some "light" reading in English.

Looking at the titles you guys mentioned on the web, still does not give me a good idea of the contents. Here is a tip for the publishers of magazines: Put a few older issues on the web as downloadable hi-quality PDF files are potential customers and subscribers can get a feel of the magazine before commiting to subscription "blindly".

That said, I managed to get a copy of "Digital SLR Photgraphy" (UK based, see www.digitalslrphoto.com) at the Geneva airport press shop. It seems decent enough, so I subscribed - but @ £70 for the overseas it is a little steep. Lets hope it is worth it... I post a little review in a few months time after I have had a few issues to read.

One thing I noticed, a lot of the magazine try to outdo each other with post processing tip and tricks. I am looking for something that is based on photography, not photoshop! :D The search continues... deal.gif
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    I subscribe to Outdoor Photographer, great magazine IMO. I also subscribe to JPG Magazine, Aperture, and EOS Magazine (Aperture & EOS are quarterly). I have a subscription to Shutterbug as well, but I think I'm going to let it lapse, not terrible impressed with it.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    kejago wrote:
    ...What photography magazine or magazines are you currently enjoying?
    Do you subscribe to any good magazines?...
    I subscribe to Digital Photo Pro. Seems to have at least one useful, pro-pertinent, article in each issue. The others I peek at from time to time on the news stand, but find a lot of really useless editorial for the money. Besides, every time I subscribe to a mag my junk mail meter takes a spike, so I generally just hunt-and-peck my magazines and spend the majority of my info-seeking time on the Web and here at DG.thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    MikeAldrichMikeAldrich Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Since it's been a couple years since this thread has been posted in, I thought I'd resurrect it for a quick discussion on the current magazines. I've been traveling a lot lately and I wanted to load up on some mag's for my next trip at the end of the week. I grabbed a copy of Shutterbug from the newstand the other day and wasn't terribly impressed. I've been mainly concentrating on landscape/wildlife stuff lately, but I'm alway's looking for new photoshop tips as well. Any suggestions?
    “The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

http://www.shuttershockphotobooth.com/
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 31, 2011
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Good Stuff comes out of Canada and the UK for landscape and wildlife and such.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MarleneMarlene Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    I subscribe to Outdoor Photographer and Professional Photographer. I am thinking that I will drop Outdoor Photographer and when I get my new ipad2 will look for a subscription to read online.
    :D marlene frankel

A Slice of Life