The Mechanical Pancreas Sessions: first foray into portrait photography

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited November 18, 2008 in People
A week ago two of my friends asked me to come over and photo-document a session while they laid down tracks for their next CD.

Here are a few of the shots, the rest can be found here... The Mechanical Pancreas Sessions

Comments, questions & critiques are welcomed and encouraged, as the thread title states this is the first time I've done any type of portrait photography.

All of the photos were shot with only the natural light in the room, no flash was used. The only post production I did was LAB curve adjustments (with the exception of the B&W's and the selective colorization at the bottom of the post).

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

I can't decide if I like the color version of this photo posted above or the B&W version so I posted both...
IMG_3095copy-1.jpg

As with the above photo I adjusted the LAB curves for contrast and then converted the color shot to gray scale...
IMG_3057.jpg

This photo as with the others I adjusted the LAB curves, converted to gray scale and then applied the selective colorization...
IMG_3113.jpg
This is probably the most subtle selective colorization I've ever done. There was hardly any color in the background to begin with but I was pleased with the outcome.
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2008
    I wouldn't have guessed it's selective color. I like it because it makes the background less distracting, really highlighting the subject. There is no color in the background to compete with his skin tone.

Caroline
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    I wouldn't have guessed it's selective color. I like it because it makes the background less distracting, really highlighting the subject. There is no color in the background to compete with his skin tone.

Caroline

Even the subject didn't realize it was a selective colorization until I pointed out that his vibrant red pillows were gray. mwink.gif
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I think that with or without the selective colorization, the background (tiles) take too much attention away from the subject, to be honest. I think the ones that are more close up, are definitely the stronger ones in this set thumb.gif