Downloading raw files

BulldoggerBulldogger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited November 18, 2008 in Cameras
Hello everyone.I took some pics in raw today, so they are NEF files and I cannot download them.I installed what was needed, from the software the camera came with and now I am stuck with files I cannot download to the PC.The camera is a D90 by the way and jpeg files were no problem to download.Any suggestion?Thank you.

Comments

• NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Are you saying that you can't even download the files to your pc, or that you cannot read them with the software you installed?
    I'm going to assume that the D90 is the same as the D200 (which I own) for downloading.
    When I connect the camera to the USB port, it is recognized as a HDD, so I can download any kind of file.

As for opening the files, I had to install the Nikon plug-in to Adobe Photoshop 7.0 before I could read the files.

It is possible that if you are using Windows Explorer to download, that you have the view set to thumbnail, and Windows will not recognize a .NEF file as a photo, so you won't see the thumbnails.
    If this is the case, just change the view option to list, or detailed for the folder, and you will see the files.

Hope this helps.

FW
  • BulldoggerBulldogger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 17, 2008
    Nikonzoom wrote:
    Are you saying that you can't even download the files to your pc, or that you cannot read them with the software you installed?
    I'm going to assume that the D90 is the same as the D200 (which I own) for downloading.
    When I connect the camera to the USB port, it is recognized as a HDD, so I can download any kind of file.

As for opening the files, I had to install the Nikon plug-in to Adobe Photoshop 7.0 before I could read the files.

It is possible that if you are using Windows Explorer to download, that you have the view set to thumbnail, and Windows will not recognize a .NEF file as a photo, so you won't see the thumbnails.
    If this is the case, just change the view option to list, or detailed for the folder, and you will see the files.

Hope this helps.

FW

Hi, thanks for the help.I managed to transfer them to a folder from the Nikon Capture option and I can see the thumbnails.But when I go into my Photoshop Elements 6 they cannot be read.I made sure that I had downloaded the plug in for PSE6 but still.....no luck.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    Bulldogger wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the help.I managed to transfer them to a folder from the Nikon Capture option and I can see the thumbnails.But when I go into my Photoshop Elements 6 they cannot be read.I made sure that I had downloaded the plug in for PSE6 but still.....no luck.

Make sure the Camera Raw plugin you installed is new enough, the D90 is suppoted in version 5.1 - available here.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    The method I used to install the Nikon NEF plug-in for PS 7.0 was to install the Nikon software that came with my D200. I am sure that there's a way to do it without installing the Nikon software, but I wanted to check it out anyway.
    You might want to join the Adobe forum and post the problem there.
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeb4f8b/

Frank
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    You can also use the free Adobe DNG converter and convert the NEF files o Adobe's Opensource RAW file format, .dng (Digital negative). This is how I got Lightroom 1 to use my D90 RAW files.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    I do believe the D90 comes with ViewNX which can read and convert the NEF files for you.

Link to download ViewNX: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16111&p_sid=s6CkQ9jj&p_lva=61
  • BulldoggerBulldogger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 18, 2008
    I do believe the D90 comes with ViewNX which can read and convert the NEF files for you.

Link to download ViewNX: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=16111&p_sid=s6CkQ9jj&p_lva=61

Yes, it came with that and it was installed but still did not work.I transferred the pictures onto the PC (trough Nikon Capture) but was not able to open them trough my PSE6 since it did not recognize the files.PSE6 is supposed to work with raw files but for some reasons it did not.Finally I tried the trial for Capture NX2 and that solved all problems.What an ordeal considering I did not even know what raw was! The picture came out great though, compared to what I used to take with my old camera.
    Thanks everyone for your help.