I don't shoot seniors...

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in People
But I had a hard time saying no to this job. I had just shot her sister's wedding, and I love her family, and they have a great location. Besides...she wanted pictures taken with a steer...who can pass that up?

403834654_iMf6S-L-2.jpg

403840147_w38jp-L-1.jpg

403843384_77cQ6-L-2.jpg

These required very little post. First is an AB 800 bouncing into a white umbrella (key) and Sunpak 622 diffusion head fill. Second and third are AB 800 + umbrella only. Third is actually mixed sun and flash, it is a little too nosy but not so bad for a little loop lighting. I have nothing particular against seniors I just don't have the time/not worth my time to do the (now compulsary) post that most kids want in addition to quality shots out of the camera. I'll stick to weddings until maybe one day I can hire someone to do my post. C&C welcome.

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2008
    The lighting is just simply superb!

The last one is my favorite wings.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Awsome series! Especially like #3.clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I wouldn't "steer" you wrong....sorry...couldn't resist that.

Pretty girl and nice setting...nice expression on 3...she looks very relaxed and natural. As a viewer, I think you've captured her ... I feel I know her personality...nice job.

Ok...that's the 'C', now it's time for the other 'C' in C&C:

Lighting (#2 and #3 more than #1): You have such an idillic setting with beautiful light...and then BAM...there's the light from your flash. I think your lighting needs to be a little softer and come from a more natural direction given the direction of the natural light. You can get away with a unnatural direction if the light is soft enough to appear to be bouncing off something out of frame...but this is clearly a strong light and it just can't naturally be the sun...so it looks out of place.

#1: Not crazy about the pose...the composition is nice, but I'd like to see depth on the steer (I know that seems crazy), but it's too straight-on for my tastes. She should be the center of attention, but to my eye, I'm focused on that steer. I think it's because it's confronting me that I can't avoid staring back. It would be more of a prop if it were sideways and she were interacting with it.

#2: Nice everything...just the comments above about the lighting...needs to be softer and you've got a winner! Even with the lighting you used in #1 it would be soft enough to make it work...

#3: What a nice setting! If these comments seem nitty, it's only because I like it so much. I'd love to see more of her back shoulder and less of her front hand. The back of that hand is perfectly parallel to the light source and just reflects all that light! If she put her hand on the railing, or even just turned it so it wasn't flat it would not compete with those amazing eyes for the viewer's attention. The contrast to this is her back hand, which is growing from her torso! Just a little turn of the shoulders would give her depth, flatter her figure, reconnect all her body parts, and turn her 'planes' away from the light (which needs to be softer).

Ok...that's my two cents!

- Gary.
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I think they're wonderful! Very cool shots!
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Neat series.

Loved GJMPhoto's critque. For the most part I agree with just about everything but will add....

1. For me it's the white vest and the very black steer that pull the image down. My eyes go back and forth between this very stark contrast and then finally, I realize what the center of attention should be. I really like GJM's comment about the steer looking me directly on and I have to agree this too draws me to the steer.

2. I'm sure you tried but I would like to see the horses head over the rail. Also, I might have tried this one up on a ladder to eliminate the hot patch of sky.

3. Such a nice shot all the other stuff is just nits. I'd like to see the light moved a bit closer to the photographer (more 45 degree angle) and the power turned down just a bit.

Nice series!
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Thanks for the comments. Like i said...I don't shoot seniors. Hase anyone worked with a steer before?? I've worked with dogs, cats, horses, but the steer was a first. And he was frisky. Exposing for the steer and her vest was tough enough. I will admit that I had very little idea of what to do with the steer. I also did some of her closer up hugging the steer, they liked them but they don't work for me. The steer's head is bigger than hers, its more dominant in a close up.
    It was also pretty important to them that the steer was looking at the camera, so there was much "steer calling" happening behind me.

You comments on my lighting, while appreciated really go more to affirm my consistency of style than anything. I like to shoot in shady margins against hard light, and use that contrast to make separation. I also prefer strong directional light when I'm working with off camera flash.
    The 3 dimensional aspect of the lighting is what I'm going after. My comment about the 3rd being a little "nosy" was my own pick on placing the light a little too far around on her, but it is still pretty classic short lighting just not the "perfect" light for her face.
    I check out a lot of threads of people who shoot seniors, and I think lots of the posts show talent in both photoraphy and marketing. The ambiet, and FOC troopers out there that can do it, do it well and thats a style. For me I'm always looking to do something different, not for the sake of being different, but because I have a vision of what my portraits should be, and short of opening the shadows on the tree in the second one and having the light a little closer to me in the third these fulfilled my vision. Thanks for the comments.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I think GJM and Crockett captured the same c&c I would provide. For someone that doesn't shoot seniors, I think that you a great job pulling out her personality. thumb.gif