New Canon Software as of 11 Nov 2008

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited November 19, 2008 in Cameras
For those that may be interested, Canon has uploaded new DPP, Zoom Browser, etc here.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    For those that may be interested, Canon has uploaded new DPP, Zoom Browser, etc here.

Appreciate the headsup, Scott, thanks!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Related question: is there a reason I should use the Canon software that came with my camera? When I saw this post, it occurred to me I've never even opened the disks that came in the box (with ANY of my Canon cameras) - I've always just used built-in Windows drivers, Picasa, and whatever editing software I'm using (at the moment, CS3, previously PSP9).

What am I missing?

Tx!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Related question: is there a reason I should use the Canon software that came with my camera?

I'm like you, I typically use a Canon for months without cracking open their CD, since I use Lightroom. The only reason I load Canon's software at all is to use their remote capture utility for tethered shooting.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm like you, I typically use a Canon for months without cracking open their CD, since I use Lightroom. The only reason I load Canon's software at all is to use their remote capture utility for tethered shooting.

I occasionally use the ZoomBrowser app because it can identify the focal pt from Canon camera's, and this is helpful to diagnose a focus issue. DPP also offers some built in lens correction for Canon lenses, which can be helpful.

Otherwise, I am like Colorbox, and use EOS Utility occasionally.
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    in the EOS utility, you can set your copyright info into your camera, that alone was a nice feature to set in the camera
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I've the DPP, LR 2.1, and PSE 6/ACR.

As a default RAW processor, I perfer DPP over LR b/c it's faster, I find the colors a touch better, slightly better detail, and better sharpening. The largest possible JPG images are also bigger with DPP which is good (b/c I want the least compression).

The updated DPP also lets you look at the AF point, lets you use that new auto lighting effect with the newer camera and make lens corrections specific to the Canon lens as well. With the new 50D, there is also reports of noise reduction on DPP being superior to that from Adobe ACR as well.

I find that LR is better at very dynamic lighting where you need to use the fill in features and will use LR under such conditions.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Cool, thanks Scott. Raw Codec 1.4 with 50D support alone is worth downloading:-)thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 19, 2008
    Thanks Scott. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums