Options

SmugTubes = Snoots

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited November 23, 2008 in Technique
Quite well, actually. Friction-fits nice and snug with a 580EX. I don't have a 580EX II yet so I can't comment on it's fit. A small amount of light barrier material around the flash head if needed. Can be cut to many, many sizes.

419440159_f73oA-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Quite well, actually. Friction-fits nice and snug with a 580EX. I don't have a 580EX II yet so I can't comment on it's fit. A small amount of light barrier material around the flash head if needed. Can be cut to many, many sizes.

419440159_f73oA-M.jpg
    Cool - but what color is the inside of the tube? Is it .... gasp .... white by any chance?
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    most likely brown
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    Cool - but what color is the inside of the tube? Is it .... gasp .... white by any chance?
    It's most definitely brown. It certainly lends itself to coating/covering by various means if desired/necessary (especially if you cut it smaller).
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    A can a spray paint would solf that problem! You could make it white, yellow, silver, gold, .... pick the color of your choice.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    A can a spray paint would solf that problem! You could make it white, yellow, silver, gold, .... pick the color of your choice.rolleyes1.gif

I might consider black, actually. It would make it even more... snooty.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    I might consider black, actually. It would make it even more... snooty.

Indeed. I tried both white and mylar interiors under the theory that they would be more efficient, but they spill light all over the room. Black is the way to go.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Indeed. I tried both white and mylar interiors under the theory that they would be more efficient, but they spill light all over the room. Black is the way to go.
    And I have to go to home depot today. I am picking up a can of flat black. Since I have several of these tubes I may experiment with white and silver, too.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 19, 2008
    This is kind of cool......

but I think I prefer the snoots from Honl as they are flat in my back pack. Carrying that mailing tube around would be a pain. Honl also has a grid which may be even more directional
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    You guys are such spenders...rolleyes1.gif
    A piece of black/dark gray poster board and a couple of staples/paper clips is all it takes to make a speedsnoot :-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    You guys are such spenders...rolleyes1.gif
    A piece of black/dark gray poster board and a couple of staples/paper clips is all it takes to make a speedsnoot :-) deal.gif
    Hey, if smug is gonna ship is tubes then might as well put a good use to them. Now - I won't be out hiking with them, but it's good for indoor use or a quick snoot-shoot around the house.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Hey, if smug is gonna ship is tubes then might as well put a good use to them. Now - I won't be out hiking with them, but it's good for indoor use or a quick snoot-shoot around the house.
    That I agree with :-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    ...and today I can officially state that the smugsnoots do not fit the 580EX II flashes. The 580EX II head is just a bit too big.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    try putting straws inside the tube. it will give you some good results.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    i really need to get the time to post what i do with laundry detergent caps. I use one as a diffusor, i glued straws in one to make a snoot. So far a piece of thick white paper squared off to fit my sb600 filled with straws (regular white with strips works the best, clear straws disburse the light to mush) about 6" long seems to work the best. The squarness let you pop in a rosco gel sample and since its away from the flash, the gels do not get that burnt distored look.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    That black craft foamy stuff that is lying around...left over from making bounce cards in addition to a rubber band can make a great snoot too.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    That black craft foamy stuff that is lying around...left over from making bounce cards in addition to a rubber band can make a great snoot too.
    ooooh ... ooooh ... that and a rubber band and you are rocking. And ... remove the rubber band and it'll lay flat in your bag!:D Very good idea!