Camera comparison site

Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
edited November 20, 2008 in Cameras
DXO labs has come out with a very nice site to compare dslrs.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 18, 2008
    Good catch. thumb.gif Thanks for sharing.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Yup, very sticky site and quite informative.
    I was coming up with all sorts of 3 body combinations to compare.
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Very interesting link. Thanks for sharing.

If I'm reading the info correctly the Canon 40D hangs right in there with the Nikon D300. It seems to me that most of what I have read and been told is that the Nikon D300 is much better. Faster, faster focusing, much better with high ISO, etc. This sight shows them to be neck-n-neck. I shoot mostly portraits but need to be able to capture low-light and also have a fast fps. I have been looking at the Sony A700, Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D. I have seen some beautiful portraits taken with the Canon. Clear and sharp but with sort of a creamy skin. Have seen some great pictures with the Nikon also. Still can't make up my mind. ne_nau.gif
    LadyTX
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    Very interesting link. Thanks for sharing.

If I'm reading the info correctly the Canon 40D hangs right in there with the Nikon D300. It seems to me that most of what I have read and been told is that the Nikon D300 is much better. Faster, faster focusing, much better with high ISO, etc. This sight shows them to be neck-n-neck. I shoot mostly portraits but need to be able to capture low-light and also have a fast fps. I have been looking at the Sony A700, Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D. I have seen some beautiful portraits taken with the Canon. Clear and sharp but with sort of a creamy skin. Have seen some great pictures with the Nikon also. Still can't make up my mind. ne_nau.gif

The DXO site mentioned only compares a few attributes from each camera.

I have the Canon 40D and I find that it matches my needs for event and personal/travel pretty well. For portraiture I think either camera could be suitable. Remember that good lenses are much more important than the camera body for most applications.

I would think that the AF section of the Nikon D300 is more suited for sports and rapid action, but that in many other regards the Canon 40D can hold its own, especially considering current pricing.

Those 2 cameras, the D300 and 40D, are not designed for exactly the same market and do not allow a direct comparison.

The honest truth is that they are both very competent for general work but the D300 is probably more responsive overall.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The DXO site mentioned only compares a few attributes from each camera.

The attributes of the sensor itself is the focus. Leaving a multitude of other performance attributes to consider.