Options

Macro lenses, help me select?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I have the Canon 180. Having 9" of air between you and the subject is great, no question. I doubt you will be able to do hand held shots with it. I don't have anything to compare it to and I don't consider myself all that good a photog, but I wouldn't trade the 180 for anything when it comes to closeups.

Here's an image where I was really happy to have the 9" of air between the front of the lens and this guy.

633671697_nvrKu-M.jpg

would the 180mm enable me to not need to deal with my own shadow all the time...would the same be the case for the 100mm?

:help
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I've been playing around with a 430EX II / OC-E3 cord / extending adjustable arm/ mini- softbox / setup, and I still can't get it right... most of the time I just go back to natural lighting and get whatever I get...

I've ordered a Canon MR-14EX macro ring light that should be arriving in time for the weekend. That (or the more expensive MT-24EX macro twin light) seems like a good solution to the macro illumination problem. I'll post some shots when I've had a chance to do something with it.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:
    I have the Canon 180. Having 9" of air between you and the subject is great, no question. I doubt you will be able to do hand held shots with it. I don't have anything to compare it to and I don't consider myself all that good a photog, but I wouldn't trade the 180 for anything when it comes to closeups.

Here's an image where I was really happy to have the 9" of air between the front of the lens and this guy.

sweet lens that 180 is, and sweet image btw!, I am happy with the 150mm and at this point the only reason I can come up with to move into a 180mm is the background compression.

Wish I could try someones 180 out for a test run one of these days...
    Dan, let me know when the next time your in Utah:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I've ordered a Canon MR-14EX macro ring light that should be arriving in time for the weekend. That (or the more expensive MT-24EX macro twin light) seems like a good solution to the macro illumination problem. I'll post some shots when I've had a chance to do something with it.

I look forward to your posts, I will keep an eye out in holy macro... I lurk the area:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    << been playing around with a 430EX II / OC-E3 cord / extending adjustable arm/ mini- softbox / setup >>

Certainly nothing wrong with this rig - as Brian V demonstrates :)

pp

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64695