Indoor soccer ISO 3200

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited November 19, 2008 in Sports
Edited in LR2, using LR2 noise reduction :wink

419518316_Dpgiq-L-1.jpg

And this one I like enough to investigate further noise reduction on:
419493941_ZJFVG-L-1.jpg

And for anyone doubting that this kind of light cycles, and wreaks havoc with color temp, check the changing wall color in this gallery.

ann

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Hey Ann -

Nice action in that first shot!

what camera were you using? Looks like you've still got a good amount of noise in these.

As for cycling - keep this in mind. Lights will always cycle. The question is one of overlapping fields of light. If the different lights are close enough the light fields overlap and it's often not a problem - you get slight variations but not enough IMO to worry about. Walls typically won't have that since there's no light coming from the other side of the wall. For instance when I shoot basketball or volleyball I can often see different color casts on the wall that don't show up on the players - because the players have several lights hitting them at the same time vs a spot on the wall that may have only one.

Having said all that - sure there are places where the light fields don't overlap and custom WB is impossible - just that the color of a wall isn't a good indicator of that. And, I really do hate when I end up in those places. Fortunately they're few in my experience.

edit: forgot to mention the timing of the cycling. What I said above applies only if the lights are not cycling with a matched amplitude. If they are then it doesn't matter if there is one or 20 lights on the subject because temp change will occur for all at the exact same time.
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    The EXIF reads 1D MkII N. They seem very noisy on my screen, but the action can't be denied - there are some great shots all throughout the gallery.

I also see you shooting 135mm with f/2.2 - wow that's some fast glass...

:D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Stunning noise performance clap.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    johng, worship, roentarre

Thanks. I shoot with the 1dMkIIN, and was using the 135f2.0 at 2.2.

I had quite a lengthy discussion about reentering the world of high ISO, lots of noise here.

I am pretty happy that I can deal with the noise well enough with LR2 and without adding extra steps/programs or new equipment. This will let me deal with volume shots and only go back and give special attention to the 'special' ones.

This venue is crazy dark, and it has sweet spots of light. As well, I've noticed that shots from the near side of the field are better lit than from across the field. Didn't have that result in the other venues that I've shot in.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by.

ann