Options

3 lenses and a face

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited April 24, 2004 in Technique
The images are an Alaskan mask made from a single piece of whale cartilage. My grandmother ran the trading post in Teller Alaska for awhile and this is something that she brought back.

I used the 17-35 f2.8L, the 50 1.8 II and the 85mm f1.2L. It was particularly interesting to see that the color balance varied.

ISO Speed: 400
Aperture: f2.8
Shutter: 1/20
Focal Length (mm): 23

mask1_cs.JPG

Aperture: f1.8
Shutter: 1/30
Focal Length (mm): 50

mask2_cs.JPG

Aperture: f1.2
Shutter: 1/60
Focal Length (mm): 85

mask3_cs.JPG
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    The images are an Alaskan mask made from a single piece of whale cartilage. My grandmother ran the trading post in Teller Alaska for awhile and this is something that she brought back.

I used the 17-35 f2.8L, the 50 1.8 II and the 85mm f1.2L. It was particularly interesting to see that the color balance varied.

mask1_cs.JPG

mask2_cs.JPG

mask3_cs.JPG
    Very cool Charles...would you explain why you used iso 400, and such a slow shutter speed? as I'm having a brain lock on what to use for my portraits..
    I think I need to slow down and crisp up.. (edit) I really must stop posting when I'm half asleep... i'ts obvious why you used the settings sorry ...
    why the 400 though, I think I would have used a slower iso and maybe this is part of my weak slightly grainy images.

very nice images.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Very cool Charles...would you explain why you used iso 400, and such a slow shutter speed? as I'm having a brain lock on what to use for my portraits..
    I think I need to slow down and crisp up.. (edit) I really must stop posting when I'm half asleep... i'ts obvious why you used the settings sorry ...
    why the 400 though, I think I would have used a slower iso and maybe this is part of my weak slightly grainy images.

very nice images.
    Lynn
    I liked the effect of the single light to the lower right of the mask but that made it fairly dark. The ISO 400 was what was needed to make the shutter speed be approximately reciprocal of the focal length. Which is the general guidline for avoiding camera shake issues. You can see below that each lens was at maximum aperture:

What is perhaps more interesting is the DoF variation between the focal lengths. Those are all the more obvious because the lenses are not stopped down.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Charles, most interesting that the color is so different in the middle shot.

Hey, for my dunce benefit, could you rerun the focal length/shutter speed equation again? I'm rotten at anything involving figures that doesn't walk or talk, and I've forgotten what you previously wrote.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Charles, most interesting that the color is so different in the middle shot.
    None of them are really right but the #1 and #3 are 'L's and the middle one is the standard el-cheapo 50mm 1.8, so maybe the coatings make a difference.
    Hey, for my dunce benefit, could you rerun the focal length/shutter speed equation again? I'm rotten at anything involving figures that doesn't walk or talk, and I've forgotten what you previously wrote.
    1/focal length for handheld. So the 85mm should have been 1/85th of a second, the 50mm 1/50th and the 23mm 1/23d. Course it's just a rule of thumb.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2004
    Cool, thanks Charles. With my shakes, I should double that! I'm soon to get my trembling hands on a much heavier camera, that should help steady things. Tough to shake a block of titanium!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cool, thanks Charles. With my shakes, I should double that! I'm soon to get my trembling hands on a much heavier camera, that should help steady things. Tough to shake a block of titanium!
    The last of my 'hat' shots was a handheld 50mm at 1/10 which is definitely pushing envelope.