Medicine Wheel Natl. Historic Landmark, Wyoming

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited November 20, 2008 in Landscapes
Dear Friends:

A series of snapshots I had the pleasure of taking this past Summer while visiting Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark at Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming. This was a gorgeous place. We had to walk at least a mile and a half to get to Medicine Wheel, and then the same back. The circle fence was ringed by all sorts of pouches, cloths, objects, and other Native American artifacts left as offerings. The area surrounding it was also just breathtaking.

wheelie.jpg

wheel.jpg

mwheel.jpg

dreamcatcher.jpg

prock.jpg

Medicine Wheel is at 9642 feet of elevation in the Bighorn Range, near Lovell, Wyoming. It is about 75-feet in diameter (some say 70, some say 80), circular in arrangement, with 28 radial rows (like spokes attached to the hub of a wheel) of stones and rocks extending from the center cairn. This is believed to be the best preserved of all such wheels in the United States. Archaeologists believe that the site where the wheel sits has been in use by Indian tribes for over 7,000 years. It is considered a sacred site and ceremonies are still held there. It is darn impressive.

Most of the shots were taken with a D300, and the Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5-4.5G, although the one of the wheel itself was shot with the Sigma 10-20mm.

When I drove through Bighorn in June we hit a pretty good snowstorm. I took these shots in late August. Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Nacho :smile:
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Wonderful landscape shots wings.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    These are great ! amazing place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • mariuspmariusp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Interesting place! I love the 4th photo, the one with the Dream Catcher thumb.gif
    Marius Popovici Photography
    Hollywood, FL
    www.popovici.net