Sigma 28mm or 30mm?

TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
edited November 22, 2008 in Cameras
I’m looking a two Sigma primes (28mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro and 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM) to primarily shoot artwork (paintings in galleries and studios). This usually requires low-light capabilities. I have a 50mm f1.4 HSM Sigma for that as well and so far I love it but it is a little close cropped for some of the paintings. As an aside, I like to shoot landscapes and family stuff (indoors) so the lens will be multipurpose.

I’ve done a long search here and found mixed reviews on the 30mm. Elsewhere on the net I also see some test shots that show pin cushioning (I think that’s the term?) on the corners and edges. Then there’s the fact that it’s a DC lens. Even though I plan to stay with my Nikon D90, $400+/- for a good prime might last longer than the camera. Who knows what I’ll move to next.

The 28mm is not HSM but I have no idea if that matters. Both my current lenses are and they work well for me. The difference between f1.4 and f1.8 seems negligible but I think the DG size is a plus.

The 30mm costs about $100 more than the 28mm.

Is there a reason to go with the 30mm over the 28mm?
A Nikon D90 plus some Nikon, Sigma & Tokina lenses.

Comments

• NubsterNubster Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    My Dirty Thirty just arrived today. I chose it because of some FANTASTIC examples that I saw on another photography board I am a member of. There are some excellent photographers there that swear by the lens and their shots really make great evidence to their case. I have not had a chance to try it out yet but I don't imagine I will be unhappy with the decision to get it.
    **Chad**
    Nikon D200 with MB-D200
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
    Sigma 18-50mm
    Sigma AF 70-200mm 2.8 DG APO HSM

No idea how to use them but learning more everyday.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I've had the Sigma 28mm f1.8 and have tested it against the Sigma 30mm f1.4. I actually prefer it over the 30mm b/c it's cheaper and I think the corners are sharper as well. You can also focus much much closer with the 28mm lens which may or may not be a factor for you though.

On a Nikon body, the AF on the 28mm is actually a bit quieter and the difference in the AF performance between the two maybe less as was what I saw when a buddy had it for his Nikon d200 (it uses the screw drive on Nikon mounts). On the Canon body, the 30mm is much quieter and faster.

Here is my comparison of the two for the Canon mount.
    http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/2000895_jMDFd#114325968_EywF2
  • TizianoTiziano Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks guys.
    Seems like a split decision between you two.:D

Based mostly upon Tee Why's image comparisons I went for the 28mm. It seemed sharper on the edges and equally sharp in the center for most of the tests.

Mine arrives tomorrow fro B&H so I look forward to a weekend of testing. clap.gif
  • NubsterNubster Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Make sure to post up some shots. I don't think you would have gone wrong with either choice. I need to get out and play with my Dirty Thirty this weekend.
    **Chad**
    Nikon D200 with MB-D200
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
    Sigma 18-50mm
    Sigma AF 70-200mm 2.8 DG APO HSM

No idea how to use them but learning more everyday.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    If you do reproduction work .. the 50mm/2.5 AFD Macro 1:2 might be the most sexy lens ... it has close to zero field curvature. I would like to hear how the 28mm performs in this regard.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited November 21, 2008
    I'll try to take some grid-type shots today or this weekend. Depends upon whether the lens arrives before 4pm today or not.
    edited November 21, 2008
    I think the 28mm is an excellent value/lens if you are aware of the lens's pro and cons.

It's AF on a Canon is bad, b/c the motor they use is bad. On a Nikon mount they use the screw drive system so it's nicer. It is made for a full frame so the corners are sharper imo than the 30mm f1.4 which is made for a cropped sensor (go figure, a fast wide/normal prime with soft corners, gasp :P).

The 28mm is also very big and the front element extends out as you focus. The 30mm does not and it's HSM motor is faster and quieter and probably will focus better in dark settings. The 28mm can focus so close that you can actually touch the hood on the subject and still focus if you are shooting just to the side and not shooting directly at the subject. It also has more aperture blades at 9 for a rounder bokeh rendering.

If you intend to stand relatively far away and take portraits and such in low light settings, the 30mm may be better, but if you want a cheap prime that you can use to get close focusing shots, walking around shots, and some low light shots (may need to MF at times), the 28mm is tough to beat for the price IMO.
    edited November 21, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    If you do reproduction work .. the 50mm/2.5 AFD Macro 1:2 might be the most sexy lens ... it has close to zero field curvature. I would like to hear how the 28mm performs in this regard.
    According to Popular Photography's review, the 28mm has a 0.43% (minimal) barrel distortion. The 30mm has slight barrel distortion (0.78%) per PopPhoto for comparison. So I think it should be ok for documents and such, unless it's for professional use. Then I too would recommend a macro which would even have less distortion.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    According to Popular Photography's review, the 28mm has a 0.43% (minimal) barrel distortion. The 30mm has slight barrel distortion (0.78%) per PopPhoto for comparison. So I think it should be ok for documents and such, unless it's for professional use. Then I too would recommend a macro which would even have less distortion.

Distortion is how the image is distorted. The field curvature is how the
    plane of the depth of field is "bent".

Consider a flat wall. If you photograph that wall in an 90° angle a lens with
    strong field curvature will only show the center sharp and the edges soft
    because the edges are not within in the depth of field. A lens with flat field
    curvature will show the whole wall in sharp.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited November 22, 2008
    Well, I never noticed this before but I have very few options for testing things like this.

I finally found a tiled floor but left my tripod home. rolleyes1.gif
    Therefore the parallax is off a bit. I'm standing on a tall stool and using the florescent lighting that was in the hallway. I made no attempt to adjust the image except a little levels work.

When I bring it into Photoshop and put guides on it I see the parallax error due to the camera orientation. I can imagine what it would look like had I been lined up properly by splitting the difference on the right side. This makes me think that the distortion is very slight.
    I'm sorry that this is such a poor test.

Either way, I'm mostly happy with the lens. It seems quiet enough. I do slightly miss the freedom of manual focus in the way my 50mm HSM lens does (no need to flip the manual/auto switch on that one).
    Overall, I think it was worth the money and am glad I didn't spend the extra money on the 30mm.

Somewhere I read that the macro aspect was much closer than the stated specs. I agree. Setting the front of the lens on the table and tilting it 45 degrees yields a very, very close shot.
    edited November 22, 2008
    congrats, the 28 is a nice sleeper of a lens. Yeah, get close and create some neat compositions and get shallow dof.