Yosemite and Mono Lake Fall colors

SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Landscapes
Just wanted to share a few images from my recent trip to Mono Lake and Yosemite in early October. It was 90 degrees the first few days and then an early snow dropped 6 inches of snow! The fall colors together with a fresh snow was a nice surprise!

I am partial to water, sunsets, moons and reflections and will go out of my way to chase these.

The "Painterly Aspens in Snow" was a new technique that a friend of mine uses quite often and I thought I would try - free hand panning (one of those few times the camera is off of the tripod!). I have quite a few images that DIDN'T turn out - this will take some time to perfect. I am VERY eager to see this printed on canvas.

The "Storm over Mono Lake" image was captured on a day with 1-2 foot waves that created this salt-brine foam around the edge of the lake - the 20-30 mph winds and sub-30 degree weather presented some challenges for this shot. I opted for a long exposure (4 second) to smooth out the waves to give a really mystical and different look of Mono Lake.

Critique, Comments and feedback are appreciated. Let me know which images you like the best!

Thanks,
John

"Reflections in the Eastern Sierra"
420016789_uhf9G-XL.jpg

"Sunset at Tenaya Lake", Yosemite National Park - Tioga Pass
420038933_49nxx-XL.jpg

"Early Snow and Fall Colors in Yosemite"
399465290_4b4Hj-L.jpg

"Painterly Fall Aspens in Snow" Yosemite National Park
420623190_FnYvF-L.jpg

"Storm at Sunset over Mono Lake"
414515559_wMeBp-X3.jpg

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Hi John- the last three are excellent. I particularly like the third one (with the yellow leaves)... great job mah man... thumb.gif

Cheers,
  • chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Very nice! I was also in this area on that same weekend. That early snowstorm against the fall colors was magical...you captured it well.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    These are all superb, but 2, 4, and 5 are fabulous clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif

Dan

PS: can you explain the technique you used on the Aspens? Thanks
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008

Yeeeow!! What a photo! Great drama, light and color. Excellent! thumb.gif
  • mariuspmariusp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    The last photo is breathtaking! Congrats!
    Marius Popovici Photography
    Hollywood, FL
    www.popovici.net
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Seriously that last one is amazing. I like the aspens in the snow as well. very nice!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Beautiful 3rd and 5th are my favorites
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    I dig the storm over Mono Lake.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks for the great comments and feedback! I am working to try to process and finish my images sooner after my shoots. A month and a half isn't too bad!

For the Painterly Fall Aspens image, I hand held the camera with 1/4 second exposures rapid firing as I panned the camera up and up. I think this will take some practice - This was the only winner out of 60 images! You want to pan in the direction of your subject so that you can still capture a sense of what the image is about. I tried little side to side movement while panning up and down as well. Different shutter speeds should yield different results. William Neill has some fantastic images in this style.

I am excited with how the ""Storm over Mono Lake" turned out (and thanks for the encouragement on that!). One day I hope to see Mono Lake with a mirror like surface that so many people have captured. It is nice to create something totally different from a place many people have been.

I have some additional images on my smugmug gallery below. The various snow and aspens are already becoming holiday card gifts for folks!

http://www.jharrisonphoto.com/gallery/6332073_dXXuy

Thanks again!
    John
  • stevesierenstevesieren Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Very nice shots
    Very nice shots indeed John, I like the last three, especially the mono shot. The blur is cool too. I tried it once and it's pretty hard to do. I was unsuccessful.