The Mighty Hunter

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited February 23, 2009 in People
This is my son deer hunting on his own for the first time.

420688697_xaDrj-XL-1.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Jeff where in Iowa are you from? I grew up in the SE corner.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Jeff where in Iowa are you from? I grew up in the SE corner.

Actually, I'm in St. Louis, MO. I was in Iowa a few weeks ago and shot a bunch of fall picts. This one was shot in Missouri. Sorry to disappoint! rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff Meyers
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    HDR or shadow/highlight adjustment?

Good shot, did he bag one yetmwink.gif
    edited November 20, 2008
    cj99si wrote:

Didn't even see any this time. He got a 6-pointer a few years ago during youth hunt.

No HDR. Just some contrast toning in the shadow and mid-tone regions.

Thanks!
    Jeff Meyers
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    cj99si wrote:

I've seen a few of Jeff's shots and they look like they are HDR, but they are not. He has a very interesting technique when he does his PP that atleast I wish he would share. *wink wink, hint hint*

@ Jeff

Great shot of the boy! Any pics of the kill?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited November 20, 2008
    Trevlan wrote:
    I've seen a few of Jeff's shots and they look like they are HDR, but they are not. He has a very interesting technique when he does his PP that atleast I wish he would share. *wink wink, hint hint*

@ Jeff

Great shot of the boy! Any pics of the kill?

No deer this season. Bummer.

As for the technique, it's really just a combination of adjustments and filters in Capture NX2. For the contrast toning I use one of Nik Software's Color Efex 3.0 filters. I really love that set of filters they have.
    Jeff Meyers
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    What an utterly boring snapshot.

Although this being posted on a photography forum does lead to the interesting difference of how some of us shoot wildlife (with cameras) to capture their beauty. And then there are some of you that shoot the same animals (with very "sporting" high powered rifles) just to murder them.

Mighty Hunter? I think not.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Jeff,

If he is hunting alone who took the picture? :D

Sam
    edited November 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Jeff,

If he is hunting alone who took the picture? :D

Sam

I captured the image in the late afternoon as he was headed out to the stand by himself. It was his first time alone in the stand.

It wasn't my intent to offend those who oppose hunting.
    Jeff Meyers
    edited November 20, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:

Although this being posted on a photography forum does lead to the interesting difference of how some of us shoot wildlife (with cameras) to capture their beauty. And then there are some of you that shoot the same animals (with very "sporting" high powered rifles) just to murder them.

You are sillyrolleyes1.gif

Have some class.
    edited November 20, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:

Jacob,

While a part of me understands your sentiments, to hunt or not to hunt is a complex issue, and way to lengthy for a photo forum.

I also don't think this is a place for heated political type topics, but that said your salmon, beef stakes, and chicken breasts are not made in a star trek replicator all nicely sealed in plastic.

Sam
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    No deer this season. Bummer.

As for the technique, it's really just a combination of adjustments and filters in Capture NX2. For the contrast toning I use one of Nik Software's Color Efex 3.0 filters. I really love that set of filters they have.

It does the trick. Looks really nice.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Jacob,

While a part of me understands your sentiments, to hunt or not to hunt is a complex issue, and way to lengthy for a photo forum.

I also don't think this is a place for heated political type topics, but that said your salmon, beef stakes, and chicken breasts are not made in a star trek replicator all nicely sealed in plastic.

Sam

Sam,

I am not so naive that I don't understand where meat comes from. I understand factory farming a great deal actually. I also have seen first hand the damage cattle does to our state parks. In New Mexico, where I currently reside, ranchers are allowed to pay a ridiculously small fee to have their stock graze on park land. Not only does their voracious appetite destroy the vegetation, but they force the small amount of animals out of the park in order to look for food elsewhere. To add insult to injury the few predators that still exist in our parks get killed for eating the ranchers cattle. I don't support any of these practices as much as possible because I consume no meat and I wear no leather. Although I should add I still pay taxes which go towards subsidizing your cheeseburger.

I can certainly appreciate the need for hunting when there was no other food source available, however that time has long since passed.

Don't post photos of your homicidal barbarous "hobby" and expect me not to comment on it. Don't try to marginalize my opinions by telling me to get some class.
    edited November 20, 2008
    Ekaj wrote:
    Sam,

I am not so naive that I don't understand where meat comes from. I understand factory farming a great deal actually. I also have seen first hand the damage cattle does to our state parks. In New Mexico, where I currently reside, ranchers are allowed to pay a ridiculously small fee to have their stock graze on park land. Not only does their voracious appetite destroy the vegetation, but they force the small amount of animals out of the park in order to look for food elsewhere. To add insult to injury the few predators that still exist in our parks get killed for eating the ranchers cattle. I don't support any of these practices as much as possible because I consume no meat and I wear no leather. Although I should add I still pay taxes which go towards subsidizing your cheeseburger.

I can certainly appreciate the need for hunting when there was no other food source available, however that time has long since passed.

Don't post photos of your homicidal barbarous "hobby" and expect me not to comment on it. Don't try to marginalize my opinions by telling me to get some class.

Good stuff man.... There is a time and a place to voice your ridiculous views, here is not the place and definitely not now when the Jeff is posting a photo of his son. Spew your garbage somewhere else.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    OK, campers, this discussion ends right now. I will delete any further posts that are not about photography. You guys know the rules.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Stunning shot in deed. :ivar clap.gifwings.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    A very nice capture, and a photograph that will surely become more important to him in later years.thumb.gif

My son(22) hunts often, and has taken up bow hunting this year. I lost my appetite to wait them out in the freezing cold long ago, but he promises to let me know when the deer begin to move a bit so that I can come sit the stand with a camera.

I hope to come away with something as nicely done as yours.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Great photo!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
    edited November 20, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    A very nice capture, and a photograph that will surely become more important to him in later years.thumb.gif

My son(22) hunts often, and has taken up bow hunting this year. I lost my appetite to wait them out in the freezing cold long ago, but he promises to let me know when the deer begin to move a bit so that I can come sit the stand with a camera.

I hope to come away with something as nicely done as yours.

Thank you! I'm taking more pictures these days than hunting myself. Even when I go along with the guys, I let the younger guys get up in the dark. I'm their "official" photographer! mwink.gif
    Jeff Meyers
    edited November 20, 2008
    Here is one I shot. Got him in a national park with a 105 mm Canon. :D

Sam
    edited November 20, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Here is one I shot. Got him in a national park with a 105 mm Canon. :D

Sam

Great capture, Sam. The only deer I "shot" this week was this doe running away from me.

421342667_73jvx-XL.jpg
    Jeff Meyers
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    He will definately love this shot when he gets older. Love the PP treatment and like the last doe pic too. Colorfull..

The land I lease to hunt is inaccessible right now. The timber company thought it would be wise to drive a skidder down the main road to it in October after plenty of rain. Now they can't even get on it until things dry up next spring/summer. Go figure. ne_nau.gif

Another place I hunt had the most amazing thing show up a month or so ago, a pure albino. She's gorgeous and we've named her Pearl. We built her a covered feeding trough, which she frequents daily, and leave her lots of goodies in hopes that she doesn't wander off to where she'll be shot. We can't hunt the area since it's now baited, but will be worth it if I can get decent pics of her. The longest lens I have is my 70-200 F4L IS, and I haven't had her within range of it, yet. I'm off work this weekend and hoping she comes close enough.
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    The last shot of the deer with all the pink and red is so beautiful and the green pops so well. He's a cute one too, that'll make him tastier. :D Venison lasagne is delicious.
  • TunaTuna Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    OK, campers, this discussion ends right now. I will delete any further posts that are not about photography. You guys know the rules.

Thank you. thumb.gif

Nice shot, Jeff. The PP is pretty unique.