A Few Final Frames of Fall Foliage

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited November 27, 2008 in Landscapes
I shot a bit of fall after returning home from the Shootout. Fall was late, and with less color that usual, but I found a few frames that I enjoyed. I look forward to hearing folks thoughts about these images. Feel free to suggest titles for the images as well.

Depending on what you all say, I may consider entering one or two of these into a local contest which is called "Autumn Artistry - Trees in Fall Color"

Maples Leaves

408587949_TkEUX-XL.jpg

Floating Leaves

418419419_7yEqU-XL.jpg

Aspens in the Snow

420726731_7zpot-XL.jpg

Maple Leaves in the Light

420728582_BPJxH-XL.jpg

And a pano ~ 13,000 pixels long - that I won't submit ( I give up rights to what I do submit so ..... )

418430820_SCTtp-X2.jpg

Or should I just deep six these in a circular file?
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    I think "aspens in the snow" is a great photo ! Good job on the
    exposure, color and comp.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    1. The blue background peaking through really complements the leaves quite nicely.

2. Really neat shot! thumb.gif The red leaf floating in the upper left corner is the perfect finishing touch.

3. A beautiful shot. The more I look at it, the more a like it. It's a little demure, and a lot lovely.

4. Hmmm... I think I get what you were going for, but for my viewing, there isn't enough local contrast or tonal variation or something with the foreground leaves. My eye gets lost in the center of the frame.

5. That's mighty impressive. It must look awesome and detailed when viewed at a larger percentage. Have you considered boosting some of the yellows and greens to act as a counter to all that red, or is the superabundance of red the general idea?

Wonderful shooting, imho. clap.gif
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Nice job with the shooting and processing. All of them are great, but my favorites are the "floating leaves" and the pano. The red leaf in the left corner is perfect - great balance and strength to the image. Great reflections and color on the pano.

The maple leaves in the light is really hard to capture - I know the light was probably just radiating color and it is so hard to hard. I have quite a few that still won't come out right.

Keep shooting and good luck on entering those.
    John
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    2nd 3rd and the last shots are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 clap.gifwings.gif :ivar
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    These are great i must say 2nd and 3rd stand out because of their uniqueness !!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    I want to thank each poster for their comments - I truly appreciate them, and find that they reinforce my own own opinions about these images.

For example - #1 I love the yellow and blue in the first one, but it may not be enough to really hold the viewer's interest.

#2 I really like this image in a large print, but was concerned whether its merit would be seen in the smaller image here on dgrin. I like the red leaf in the upper left corner - without it the image fails in my opinion.

#3 Aspens in the snow - what's not not to like. I think it could be a tad more yellow, but that seems to be the color the camera caught.

#4 The yellow maple leaves in the sunbeam were stunning to see, but lose a little in this image - too centered, not enough color and contrast in the leaves, but still able to see into the forest. Maybe I should have shot this as an HDR, or tried tone mapping this RAW file as two seperate versions for bright and dark areas of the image.

#5 My pano has great detail in a 100% view of the image, but is definitely red as it looked that day by the lake. Their really wasn't much yellow to be seen but the image might benefit from more color variation. I'll give it a go, and see what I can pull out of the file.

I think I will submit #s 1,2,3. I am retaining ownership of number 5.

Thank you all again for taking the time to post in this thread and answer a few of my questions.

• ghostryderghostryder Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:

Floating Leaves

418419419_7yEqU-XL.jpg
    Great shot!!!!!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    Hey Jim,

I'm a maple leaf (both of them) and floating leaves fan.

Oh. Hiya Ghosty wave.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Hi Jim
    'Floating Leaves' is really beautiful! Vibrant, and yet dream like. Lovely composition.

Your pano is also beautiful.

The others are very nice as well.

ann
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I love "floating leaves" as well and the panorama...beautiful colours.clap.gif
    Angela
  • stevesierenstevesieren Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    The 2nd!
    I love the 2nd one. Awesome perspective.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Love them all! Great comp, detail, colors. #2 stands out do the abstractness of it. thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 21, 2008
    Fairly fantastic fotos!

Love the pano! clap.gif
    edited November 21, 2008
    Finally, a fellow "f" aficionado.

Fellicitous good fortune to you!

• howbouchahowboucha Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I think they all blow. You shouldn't waste your time entering them, save your ink and paper. rolleyes1.gif

Okay, translation: "Please don't enter them, I want to win, and if you enter I cannot win, there is no way, please, I beg you"

Of course you know what I really think about them. Enter them, someone else needs to win that contest for a change. :)
    I like to take pictures :)

My SmugMug site: http://www.purplepug.com
    My V-Strom Site: http://www.stromtrooper.com
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    howboucha wrote:
    I think they all blow. You shouldn't waste your time entering them, save your ink and paper. rolleyes1.gif

Okay, translation: "Please don't enter them, I want to win, and if you enter I cannot win, there is no way, please, I beg you"

Of course you know what I really think about them. Enter them, someone else needs to win that contest for a change. :)

A great series Pathfinder I think 3 and 5 are really outstanding as the colours are excellent and the snow is not blown out and so natural making the trees natural too. Well done.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited November 21, 2008
    howboucha wrote:

Hi Brendan. I turned them into the Tribune Star news desk today.

You want to shoot Sunday sometime?

I think the Falls are calling me again.

• AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Very nice series I think the aspens in the snow is my favorite the blend of colors as well as the composition is fantastic.

Ray Still
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I don't know how I missed this one so far...

Fantastic! But my brain is too mushy for more alliteration. :D

I have never seen a shot before like the one with the leaves under the water. I love that shot. Wow. Beautiful! bowdown.gif
  • howbouchahowboucha Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    My entries were plagued with problems.
    First as you (pathfinder) know I was fretting over what to submit. I had to accept the fact that no matter what I think is best, the judges may think is crap. This occurred the last two times I entered the contest.

This is what I entered this year:
    421569784_Vrt9m-L.jpg

A solitary leaf on a black bench resting on a bed of leaves. Look close in the rain drops (pathfinders brother brought this to my attention). you can see the building that the bench was in front of.

421568679_SHcj7-L.jpg

Shot from under the pond, looking toward the sky. I like this image because of what went into it. I used a Pentax Optio W30 "waterproof" camera mounted to a fishing pole, set on 10 shots for 10 second intervals.

421569050_4BR29-L.jpg

I really screwed this one up. I saved it at 72dpi and the resolution when printed was poor. My fault, I should have known better and of course I waited at the last minute for my printing and didn't have the time to do it correctly. Shot with my Nikon P6000 though which has been a fun camera to shoot with.

Anyway, i have a strong feeling that Pathfinders "Aspen" tree will take the prize. A well deserved one if it happens.
    I like to take pictures :)

My SmugMug site: http://www.purplepug.com
    My V-Strom Site: http://www.stromtrooper.com
    edited November 27, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I don't know how I missed this one so far...

I have never seen a shot before like the one with the leaves under the water. I love that shot. Wow. Beautiful! bowdown.gif

Thanks Schmoo! I appreciate your comments a great deal.

As for the leaves in/under the water, if you walk across a few covered bridges in the fall, they are not that hard to spot:D :D

edited November 27, 2008
    Like I said at the gallery Brendan, your leaf on the bench shot is great!