Options

Calibrated with Spyder Pro....

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Finishing School
So I have just used Spyder Pro 3 to calibrate my monitor to Gamma 2.2 and 6498K (recommended is 2.2 and 6500K) so very close.

But my screen to me doesn't look particularly white on my whites, and somewhat duller than I had it previously.

So I grabbed the camera and flash, and fired off a shot of my lass mucking about in the living room.

In the first I have imported the RAW direct from LR unchanged and converted to sRGB in PS for the website, and in the second, the same but using LR's AUTO button, but then tweaked by myself in LR to what I thought was better using a few of sliders. Finally, in the 3rd, I did all the adjustments in LR first myself, then exported to PS and used curves, levels, contrast, and finally saturation to get her blue PJ's more to what I saw them like with my eyes (lost the blue in the first two because of the flash I guess, even though it was diffused).

So the questions are:

Is it either looking as it should on someone elses monitor?

Is the 2nd image, tweaked better or worse than the first?

Is the 3rd, my interpretation, better or worse than numbers 1 or 2?

Or are all 3 not good...? :)

800rsi1.jpg

800rsi2.jpg

800rsi3.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    Paul,

I prefer image #1 on my Apple Cinema Display that is calibrated with a Spyder2Pro.

The second seems over bright to me, and the third has too much contrast between the 1st and the third image. I can find real whites in the letters on the hat in #1, so I think there is a full range there.

Is #3 better than #1?? It definitely looks more processed to my eye with ?loss of shadow detail compared to #1.

Lets see what some of the pro image editing folks say when they drop by.

Properly calibrated screens tend to look a little lower in contrast and a different color temp than many folks are used to seeing with uncalibrated screens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    #1 best for me paul, i use pantone huey by the way.

#2 way too pale & washed out.

phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

ps have a look at river shot i just posted in landscapes.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Thanks Pathfinder.

I'll wait for more feedback.

Paul.

• Options
    Sing141Sing141 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 21, 2008
    Paul,

I just bought a Spyder3 Pro and today calibrated my monitor. Your number 1 photo looks best on my Dell monitor. Number 2 is a little washed out/overbright and number 3 has a little too much contrast. I think I would say something between 1 and 2 would maybe be even better in my screen. I asked my wife (not a photographer) to pick which she liked best and she said number 1.

I had previously used a Spyder 2 to calibrate and then bought my own Spyder 3 Pro. I could not tell the difference between the Spyder 2 and Spyder 3 calibration I ended up with on my Dell Monitor.

My biggest problem has been getting my printed photos to look like what I see on my screen, but I am beginning to figure that out and it isn't my monitor that is off.
  • Options
    dwayne_bradleydwayne_bradley Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    #1 here as well
    I agree with the others about #2 and #3.

Just for reference, I'm using an iMac G5 calibrated with a hueyPro (Color Temp = D65, Gamma = 2.2).
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    Thanks Phil (we must have posted almost simultaeneously, your reply didn't show until this morning!)

Cheers also Sing & Dwayne for taking the time to study the shots and the feedback.

Paul.