Artistic Attempts - C&C Wanted!

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited November 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
I'm really been trying several different subjects recently, trying to learn techniques and also just exploring. I'm looking for some feedback on these shots, so if you have any C&C, please give it to me!

Here's the scoop: #1 is from a recent downtown shoot with a photog friend--I happened upon this leaf floating in the San Antonio River and just kept shooting it; #2 is a red begonia in my yard--I'd read something by Brenda Tharp about creating abstracts with a zoom so I went outside and played with it; #3 is from a recent shoot at the Botanic gardens; #4 is from yesterday's shoot on the Riverwalk.

Thanks! Lauren

421217967_j5sYs-M.jpg

421217302_5tmMP-M.jpg

415352706_xkp45-M.jpg

421226046_oxwBt-M.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    #4 for me - especially like the sunlight hitting the bottom of the waterfall and the splash of colour from the leaves.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I like all of them but am really captivated by the #2. The flower looks almost as though it is smoke. I used to do a lot of abstracts by shooting reflections of flowers on rippled mylar. This photo brings back memories of those shots. I may spend a day in the next few weeks dedicated to abstracts just for kicks. thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Thanks, R.Jay--I like #4 also. I tried throwing some of the pink leaves into the water to shoot them but they were quickly pushed to the sidewalk so it didn't work. Then I took another look and saw this one sitting on a rock and took a few snaps. Glad you like it!

Thanks, Travis! I love your Williamsburg gallery and I am anxious to see your abstract work. I just browsed your fine art gallery again and left a comment on one of your shots--sun setting at a pier. Just gorgeous work!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks, Travis! I love your Williamsburg gallery and I am anxious to see your abstract work. I just browsed your fine art gallery again and left a comment on one of your shots--sun setting at a pier. Just gorgeous work!

I appreciate the comment Lauren. It just may make me get of my butt and shoot some this weekend! :D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I'm really been trying several different subjects recently, trying to learn techniques and also just exploring. I'm looking for some feedback on these shots, so if you have any C&C, please give it to me!

Here's the scoop: #1 is from a recent downtown shoot with a photog friend--I happened upon this leaf floating in the San Antonio River and just kept shooting it; #2 is a red begonia in my yard--I'd read something by Brenda Tharp about creating abstracts with a zoom so I went outside and played with it; #3 is from a recent shoot at the Botanic gardens; #4 is from yesterday's shoot on the Riverwalk.

Thanks! Lauren

Hi Lauren I like numbers #2 the swirling colours look interesting.
    and #4 which gives the feel of relaxation.

Number #1 does weird things to my eyes eek7.gif
    Number #3 to me should be straight because the water is flat,
    but the shot is taken on an angle, doesn't look right to me headscratch.gif

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Thanks, Skippy. Hope your eyes have recovered by now! thumb.gif The #3 was taken at an angle--it was in a water fountain at the botanic gardens and I got as close as I could. I can do another crop and straighten and see what happens. As for #1, it's one of my faves--but that's why photography is an art, because people appreciate it (or not) in different ways. I ALWAYS appreciate your comments--you make me work to get better!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com