My First Macro Photo

NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited November 21, 2008 in Cameras
Hi all;
I just received my new Sigma 70-300mm zoom today, and took my first macro photo with the lens mounted on my Nikon D200.

Here's the photo

BostonMarathon2008Medal_1024.jpg

This image was resized in PS to 1024 x 685 from it's original size of 2800 x 2469 (after cropping in PS).
I also have the full image on Photobucket.

I took the photo with my Nikon D200 and Sigma 70-300mm tele zoom, and the Nikon SB600 speedlight.
Settings were: S-1/200, A=f4.8, zoom approx 250mm.

I note that the right side of the medal appears a bit out of focus.
This is most likely due to the fact that it was hanging at an angle from the camera, and having the lens set to f4.8 the depth of field was so short that the entire medal could not be perfectly focused.

I was trying to get a smaller aperture, but with the flash I could only see the aperture starting to move up when I brought the shutter down to 1/20.
The camera was mounted to a tripod, but I didn't feel comfortable with such a slow shutter.

I am going to take another shot tomorrow, after I clean the medal up (it's been lying around for a while). I'll set it up so the medal is not angled as it was in this shot, and I am sure the focus will be better on the right side.

If someone could explain why I need such a slow shutter to get a smaller aperture with the speedlight, I would appreciate it. I am knid of new to flash photography.

Thanks

FW

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 20, 2008
    Nikonzoom wrote:

I was trying to get a smaller aperture, but with the flash I could only see the aperture starting to move up when I brought the shutter down to 1/20.
    The camera was mounted to a tripod, but I didn't feel comfortable with such a slow shutter.

If someone could explain why I need such a slow shutter to get a smaller aperture with the speedlight, I would appreciate it. I am knid of new to flash photography.

Thanks

FW

Probably you are using one of the convenience modes of operation. Try switching to full manual mode for complete control.

The D200 will flash sync to 1/250th, and you can use FP mode with the SB600 to achieve even higher shutter speeds if needed to control ambient light.

A PDF version of the flash manual is here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-600.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Was this handheld, or on a tripod?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Not trying to be a pain
    not trying to be a pain but shouldn't this be in HOLY MACRO or OTHER COOL SHOTS oR TECHNIQUE...or Finishing School???

Cool shot even if it was a tad bit slow.....seems as if you were in Aperture Priority with a small Aperture (f8, f11 some where in that area).....

Also I agree with ZIGGY53...he wouldn't steer ya wrong (or is that stear...Hmmmmmm oh well got the point across I think) :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Was this handheld, or on a tripod?

He said it was with a tripod.

The reason you need a slower shutter speed with a smaller aperture is to allow more light to properly expose. I don't know Nikon that well, but there should be a setting on the flash or in your camera to set the flash sync.

You'll want to put the camera on Aperture Priority (Av on Canon) and set the aperture to what you want it -- 8, 11, 15, 18, 22, etc... -- and the camera will set the shutter speed to properly expose the picture depending on where your exposure compensation it set to. I have my flash set to 1/250th for the flash sync.

Just gotta play around with it. Flash photography can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing, and can save you're life if you do. Just shoot as much as possible, read the manual, play with all the settings, and have fun.

Regarding the edge of the metal being out of focus, I wouldn't imagine that a f/4.8 would give it that much bokeh, the distance between the left edge and right edge of that metal isn't that much of a difference, and I wouldn't imagine a f-stop of 4.8 would cause that, but it's very possible as the left side is sharp.
  • NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Thanks for your suggestions / comments. I do have to play around with the camera a lot more. Nice thing about digital is I don't have to spend $$$ on film to experiment, and see the results immediately! There's no excuse for not having gotten to know the camera system by now, since I've owned it for 2-1/2 years!

FW