Options

Photographing Car Interiors

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited December 3, 2008 in Technique
What do you all use for lighting and lighting control? I can see a standard shoe-mounted flash producing some hard shadows. So do you just bounce it off the ceiling, add a softbox, use external lighting in the car, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited November 21, 2008
    Car interiors, bathrooms, kitchens, all share some similar properties:

Cramped quarters
    Reflective/mirror surfaces
    Odd angles
    Color poisoning from reflected surfaces
    etc.

I don't think you will find any single solution to consistently work for every situation.

The way I would approach each shot is to guess a potential lighting setup and take a snap and then review the snap looking for opportunities to improve the shot. Depending upon the level of quality the final product could take hours per scene to achieve.

Large diffusion panels or diffusion sheets with the lights placed at different distances from the panels to control shadow size would probably be a common strategy. Very small lights to produce specular highlights might be used judiciously. Filtration might be required to add drama to some shadows or to counter reflected light from the interior itself.

Daylight sessions may require special attention to both potential backgrounds and ambient lighting, requiring repositioning or even relocation of the car.

It's not an easy task.

Look to some automobile magazines for inspiration on angles and views.

Look to auto maker brochures and sites for hints of lighting used.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    I have never shot car interiors myself, but remember reading some tips somewhere....sometime...headscratch.gif

Anyway.....you have probably already guessed that off camera flash is going to be a must. Some of the examples I saw involved placing flash units outside the car...on the roof....but aimed at large pieces of foam core which then reflects the light back through the windows. Smaller peanut strobes were used to light areas such as floorboards.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited November 22, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have never shot car interiors myself, but remember reading some tips somewhere....sometime...headscratch.gif

Anyway.....you have probably already guessed that off camera flash is going to be a must. Some of the examples I saw involved placing flash units outside the car...on the roof....but aimed at large pieces of foam core which then reflects the light back through the windows. Smaller peanut strobes were used to light areas such as floorboards.

Maybe this article?:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/09/cool-idea-for-lighting-car-interiors.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Yes!!!... That one!!!

I am sure that I don't read that much more "stuff" that when I was younger...but....sometimes...well.....ne_nau.gif

Anyway...good job finding that. It indeed does look like a great starting point along with a few tips for lightin the innards of an auto.thumb.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Thanks Jeff and Ziggy.

I have been going through Strobist a lot lately - just had not yet read that yet.
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Can you try using less light and a longer shutter speed? You'll need a tripod, or a mini tripod, but in theory, that should reduce some of the hot spots and potential flare. Just another idea for you to kick around. Hope it helps...
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    rmc360rmc360 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2008
    lighting in car interiors
    RogersDA wrote:
    What do you all use for lighting and lighting control? I can see a standard shoe-mounted flash producing some hard shadows. So do you just bounce it off the ceiling, add a softbox, use external lighting in the car, etc.?
    Put reflective foil or white paper on any flat surfaces not in the shot. This will reduce some contrast. That and a couple of flashes in small soft boxes, will open things up.
    Use Arid Extra Dry deoderant on the pedals or any black surface. This stuff conatins a white powder and is easy to wipe off. You're essentially creating a highlight. This is good for bike tires, wet suits ... any black on black subjects (dogs, fur coats, etc.).