IR Flowers

glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited November 22, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Since IR is all so new to me I was quite surprised when I went to take a couple of pics of some flowers I bought my wife. I took this around 10:00 at night. Lighting was incandescent over the counter. I set my camera for what I thought was the correct exposure according to my meter, 1/20 @ f2.8 and totally blew the photo out. To my surprise I finally got this at 1/200@f2.8. I think I'm going to have fun learning IR.

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    that is cool.....thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Howdy Glenn,

You certainly achieved some beautiful results.

Very nicely done.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    I really like this shot. I am very surprised at the DOF you achieved at f/2.8. The detail is awesome. thumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Lovely! You've got good contrast and texture, comp works as well. The jet black background might be something I'd consider changing, but that might just be me - I think it's a bit too common these days.

Good work thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Lovely! You've got good contrast and texture, comp works as well. The jet black background might be something I'd consider changing, but that might just be me - I think it's a bit too common these days.

Good work thumb.gif

I didn't change any color. Just added a bit of contrast and saturation and processed to B&W. I'm really surprised at the way the back ground is black as the kitchen cabinets are white and the counters are a granite grey. Guess it's just the way IR takes in the color.
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    I really like this shot. I am very surprised at the DOF you achieved at f/2.8. The detail is awesome. thumb.gif

Thanks! I shot this using my Tokina 11-16, f2.8 lens. I was probably 12" from the flowers taking this pic.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Dixie wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
    Also, I would love to have the skill a good florist has at putting such
    lovely arrangements together.
    Michael
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    Since IR is all so new to me I was quite surprised when I went to take a couple of pics of some flowers I bought my wife. I took this around 10:00 at night. Lighting was incandescent over the counter. I set my camera for what I thought was the correct exposure according to my meter, 1/20 @ f2.8 and totally blew the photo out. To my surprise I finally got this at 1/200@f2.8. I think I'm going to have fun learning IR.

Nice one Glenn, never thought about doing indoor IR Shots thumb.gif

Turned out real nice clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    glennp wrote:

Great work. I've got a IR-converted D70s, too!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008