Options

Shay's Yosemite Postcards

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited May 13, 2005 in Landscapes
A mix of landscape and people shots. If you are depicted in one of the photos, and would like a copy, just shoot me an email listing the photo number and your screen name :D

http://www.shaystephens.com/galleries/yosemite

I had a really great time. And I was glad to have met so many of you out there. A big special thanks to Jack and Tom for carting my butt around for two days :wink I appreciate you doing all that driving.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Love the rainbow
    A mix of landscape and people shots. If you are depicted in one of the photos, and would like a copy, just shoot me an email listing the photo number and your screen name :D

I had a really great time. And I was glad to have met so many of you out there. A big special thanks to Jack and Tom for carting my butt around for two days mwink.gif I appreciate you doing all that driving.

Glad to see some photos from the trip. Was great meeting you and Jennifer in person.

If you want any of the ones I posted of you, just pm me...
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Beautiful images Shay!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Shay, a real pleasure meeting you, pity we couldn't have talked more. You have some beautiful shots!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Thanks, Shay!

I had a really great time. And I was glad to have met so many of you out there. A big special thanks to Jack and Tom for carting my butt around for two days mwink.gif I appreciate you doing all that driving.
    It was great meeting you and your lovely wife. As you may already saw I got a few mugshots of you in my dgrinners gallery, please don't hesitate to request those you like.
    (That, of course, goes for all you guys!)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Shay, it was great meeting you and Jennifer. Great shots, love that rainbow..

Ed
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Shay I took so many pics of the dog wood and told Ed that it was just to hard to get that color white to look good well now we know it 's just me :D you really have some great shots and your display thumb.gifclap.gif signs of a great photographer dam it's hard being a rookie :cry :cry
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2005
    Dee:
    Hi Dee, I was very glad to have met you and your family, and Nee too ;-)
    I have not had much of a chance to look at posts yet and probably won't get to until after the Arizona/Mexico trip.

Nir:
    Thank you Nir, it was an inspiring location to shoot to say the least!

Sid:
    It was great meeting you too. I wish there was more time to talk, like I was telling someone else today, maybe we need to shoot someplace ugly and boring next time hehehe ;-)

Nikolai:
    Hi Nik, your enthusiasm was very contagious! I was very glad to have met you. Thank you for the link, I will get to it as soon as I can.

Ed:
    Hi Ed, I sent you a PM on a shot that didn't make it in the gallery. It was great meeting you and your family, your wife chasing the Coyote was a highlight that day :-)

Jeff:
    I am sorry I didn't get more of a chance than to say hello. But it was nice having you there all the same :-) You make a great portrait subject!

Anyway, the "trick" if there is one to shooting something white, apart for exposure, is oftentimes having something adequately dark to contrast the white with. The darker that something is, the whiter the white subject will be perceived. So choose your background before choosing your subject, and your white may get that just-laundered look you are looking for rolleyes1.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 11, 2005
    Outstanding Shay thumb.gifthumb.gif and you even got a coyote :cry

It was a pleasure to finally meet you and your lovely wife clap.gif We didn't have much time to talk, but everytime I saw you, you were laughing. One memory that comes to mind is when the "carvan" hit Tunnel View for the Sat sunrise. You and about 7 others jumped the wall and were set up on the steep rocky slope. I kept watching you guys (looking for that "photographer rolling down the slope KOPTD shot" :lol ) and you were cracking up the whole time :D I know photography is supposed to be fun, but you were enjoying yourself wayyyyy too much....lol

Again, it was a pleasure to meet the Stephens' and I hope to see you two at Zion, next year :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    awww man, I just love that lens mwink.gif I was wondering who took that shot, because I forgot :D It was a real pleasure to meet you and Jenny! Thanks for the laughs and a great time!

Oh and, nice shots mwink.gif wait for me to get home so I can process the shots that show the real Shay Stephens rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    The obvious question, did anyone get a shot of Jenny chasing the deer?

Otherwise, hey, Shay, in your spare time, hahaha, I would love to have you post a tutorial, or even a simple post.............on your post processing.

I have been trying to do for that "Dixie" look, too, but I don't know how far I can push shadows/highlights, or saturation.

And honest to god, I saw an ad for a plug in with what looked like the same results.

I would also need a tutorial on how to install plug ins, so that doesn't seem as practical as just learning how to do it. OK, that may sound simple, but Neat Ninja is on my desktop, but for the life of me, I can't get it into PS CS. And I paid the extra, my computer says I did.

I loved looking at your photos. I assume that right now, you are at the pot where the rainbow ends.

When you get back............etc.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Wonderful Photos, Shay!
    It was great to meet you and Jen...you both are so nice and down to earth. As usual your photos are inspiring and offer a unique take. It's so amazing to see the various viewpoints everyone had of the same places. Yours are so very special~ Cheers! Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2005
    Awesome pics, Shay! You caught me bumming some trail mix. :D

It was great meeting you and Jen and chatting a bit.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited May 12, 2005
    I enjoyed the tour, Shay. thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    awww man, I just love that lens mwink.gif I was wondering who took that shot, because I forgot icon10.gif It was a real pleasure to meet you and Jenny! Thanks for the laughs and a great time!

Oh and, nice shots mwink.gif wait for me to get home so I can process the shots that show the real Shay Stephens yelrotflmao.gif
    Hey Mick... just for you buddy! Hope you're having a blast vacationing around before the big trip back! icon10.gif
    21952659-L.jpg
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    A mix of landscape and people shots. If you are depicted in one of the photos, and would like a copy, just shoot me an email listing the photo number and your screen name icon10.gif

Hi Shay and Jennifer!

I know I can speak for Tom too when I say, it really was our pleasure! You and the whole group were a wonderful bunch and we had a BLAST! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great shots! Something else I've "learned" from looking at yours, Ed's and others pics is that I wish I'd taken more candid shots of the people there, so thanks for sharing!

I sure hope to be able to do this again either at Zion or NYC - heck maybe both!
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Hey Mick... just for you buddy! Hope you're having a blast vacationing around before the big trip back! icon10.gif
    Would you *look* at those calves, aren't they beautiful??? rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for sharing a great time dude!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2005
    Steve C:
    I was planning on doing a nice swan dive if I slipped off that slope, would make a great photo op hehehe. If I go, it's going to be with flair mwink.gif

Michiel:
    Based on what photos I saw, you have all the glorious shots of me at my most rotund! It looks like I could sumo wrestle El Capitan, and maybe even win hehehe.

Ginger:
    The post processing, in short, consisted of brightness, white balance, and saturation for single exposures, and added exposure blending for bracketed exposures. It's the digital equivalent of a graduated ND filter. You can read more about exposure blending here:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/blended_exposures.shtml

Nee:
    Thank you so much, Jen and I really enjoyed talking with you.

aero-nut:
    I wanted to talk more space stuff, but time flew away :-) I got to talk some with Mike, and I just had a blast. Next time :-)

David_S85:
    Thanks David, it was way better in person, well except the early morning part, I hate mornings hehehe.

Jack:
    You know, I forget who I was talking to, but he mentioned a glaring omission, we didn't get any big group shots!!! That would have been sweet, and I can't believe we didn't think of it at the time. I think the next one will be an all out photo-mayhem of non stop clicking hehehe. So don't feel bad, I think everyone was over-awed by the surroundings, I know I was, and just didn't think to do many people shots.
  • Options
    SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Oh my Shay! Awesome workthumb.gif Did you use a colored filter for number 25? That shot is sooo unique and beautiful, the others of course are stunning too. What is the reason that your exif says both exposure and shutter speed? Is it because you were in manual and a nonmanual metering value showed up too?

Susan
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    Love your work mate....people shots of the discussions taking place were great. Its a scary place to be picking your nose with that many cameras about thats for sure lol3.gif

Always someone watching though an expensive camera & the know how to use it.