Options

new 50D shoot raw? what do you do?

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in Technique
:D I'm grinning cos dh and dson bought mom a new 50D with an 18-200 lens:D but... boy I'm having troubles. I'm used to opening my raw files in photoshop cs version 8 - now it seems I have to use canon softwear? raws don't open in photoshop unless I transfer them and they take AGES. Other thing.. I have shooting options - raw sraw1 and sraw2. Also all the jpegs. I always used to shoot raw but now the files are so big everything is taking too long. Do you guys shoot sraw2? maybe thats what I should be doing. I love the camera but am confused as best way to drive it :)
Lynn

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 21, 2008
    Lynn, you'll need PS3 or PS4 or LightRoom 2 for a RAW converter that supports 50D RAW files. Or you can convert them to dngs, and then open the dngs, but the newer RAW converters are SO MUCH BETTER than CS 8, that you are doing yourself a disservice not to use them ( my opinion anyway !)

Or use Digital Photo Pro from Canon that came with your camera to get tiffs or jpgs on into Photoshop CS.

Hya Lynn - how are things??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Lynn, you'll need PS3 or PS4 or LightRoom 2 for a RAW converter that supports 50D RAW files. Or you can convert them to dngs, and then open the dngs, but the newer RAW converters are SO MUCH BETTER than CS 8, that you are doing yourself a disservice not to use them ( my opinion anyway !)

Or use Digital Photo Pro from Canon that came with your camera to get tiffs or jpgs on into Photoshop CS.

Hya Lynn - how are things??
    Hey Pathfinder things are great.. just arrived in Fl for the winter so should be lots of bird ops. etc for the new 50D - it's BEAUTIFUL :D Can't afford more software so I'll use the canon stuff. Thanks for helping out..
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    The more I use Canon stuff,the more I like it.
    I have all that other sw and find Canon's works great.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2008
    The more I use Canon stuff,the more I like it.
    I have all that other sw and find Canon's works great.
    Enjoy!
    thanks John :)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited November 21, 2008
    Hey Lynnie! wave.gif

I use Canon's DPP to make 16-bit tiffs. Then you can use Photoshop or anything else for final tweaking and saving. 16-bit tiff's preserve most everything from the RAW file. If you aren't planning on spending anything else for software, that's the best option, I would think.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hey Lynnie! wave.gif

I use Canon's DPP to make 16-bit tiffs. The you can use Photoshop or anything else for final tweaking and saving. 16-bit tiff's preserve most everything from the RAW file. If you aren't planning on spending anything else for software, that's the best option, I would think.
    thanks... thats what I'll do.. thanks all..
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    There has been an update for Lightroom 2, and Photoshop CS3, as well as Preview (On Mac's) to support the new RAW file type from the Canon 50D. So might want to check that out!

I was pretty frustrated with that as well at first, but since have gotten the updates, and oh so much nicer. Canon's DPP I hate. Never use it.

So, I would check for updates in all your software, and if none, call the manufacturer to ask about future updates, that's what we did 'till we got some answers.
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    I couldn't open my RAW files from one of my new cameras either until I downloaded and installed the new camera RAW plugin from adobe. If you do that, it might fix everything. Of course it might still depend on your computer system if it can handle the files.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    My understanding is that you have a number of options for opening 50D RAW files:
    • PS CS3 and ACR 4.6 (ACR is a free download from Adobe)
    • PS CS4 and ACR 5.x (ACR is a free download from Adobe)
    • Lightroom v2
    • Convert to DNG using free Adobe conversion utility and then opening the DNG file in just about any version of ACR or Lightroom
    • Open the RAW file in Canon DPP (free with the camera). From there, you can do a direct export to PS. I don't think you even need to save the converted data to an actual file - don't actaully know as I've not tried but that's what I understand.
    • Just do all your conversion/processing in DPP. Many do with good results.
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    My understanding is that you have a number of options for opening 50D RAW files:
    • PS CS3 and ACR 4.6 (ACR is a free download from Adobe)
    • PS CS4 and ACR 5.x (ACR is a free download from Adobe)
    • Lightroom v2
    • Convert to DNG using free Adobe conversion utility and then opening the DNG file in just about any version of ACR or Lightroom
    • Open the RAW file in Canon DPP (free with the camera). From there, you can do a direct export to PS. I don't think you even need to save the converted data to an actual file - don't actaully know as I've not tried but that's what I understand.
    • Just do all your conversion/processing in DPP. Many do with good results.

Hi there Scott, What is the latest update for CS3?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I believe the latest (and last) update for ACR compatible with CS3 is ACR 4.6. The best way I know of to get the lastest updates for PS is to use their update engine.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    canon400d wrote:

Pretty easy to find on Adobe. (Mac here)

10.0.1 for PS and 4.6 for ACR.