IU Soul Revue

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited November 24, 2008 in People
So, I had to go photograph something for the yearbook, and my editor told me he needs to see more creativity in the book. So he told me to be creative, and I said "OK, but I go extreme abstract." He said ok.

They needed to fill space for today's paper, so I told them I had some photos for this, and they went through them. The designer said they were amazing and he wished he could do more things like this (they used the first 5 photos for a mini photo page. It looked awesome).

I think I got a little lucky. The bar probably thought lighting techniques stopped with Eddison. 3200iso. Breaking the focal length/shutter speed inverse relation, and then some (my 135 was struggling although I accidentally bumped it to f2.5 somehow). And they weren't just standing around, they were fairly active. Although that, and I still had to up the exposure in photoshop, although I think the grain adds some atmosphere to the photos. Maybe I should try them in Black and white.

421773359_mK323-L.jpg

421775108_muXiG-L.jpg

421774401_UybDg-L.jpg

421774105_f5jSy-L.jpg

421775400_KxSTd-L.jpg

And just a few extras I liked also

421774883_grtbc-L.jpg

421773743_3gNm4-L.jpg
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Brilliant set! seems a bit noisy but that's to be expected. Well done!! clap.gif
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Nice series! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Brilliant set! seems a bit noisy but that's to be expected. Well done!! clap.gif

rolleyes1.gif You think those are noisy? You should have seen the originals :D These are with Raw editor AND PS noise reduction.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2008
    Ooh, love those! I think the close-ups are a bit too close (except the trumpet one), but all the rest have a lot of feeling, the colour is great. The little bit of grain left over works.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 22, 2008
    Nice series Chris. 135 L - nice glass your got thererolleyes1.gif Cool detail shots in the dark.

Indoors, hmmm, wouldn't the 50mm f1.4 work better in this situation on a 40D?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 22, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nice series Chris. 135 L - nice glass your got thererolleyes1.gif Cool detail shots in the dark.

Indoors, hmmm, wouldn't the 50mm f1.4 work better in this situation on a 40D?

Yeah it would, except that wide shot wasn't shot at 50mm, and there was no room to maneuver to get the shot like that.

And yes I absolutely love that 135 iloveyou.gif I would marry it if it was legal to do so rolleyes1.gif
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    Seriously funky in deed

Wow!

I love the low light shooting

Soooooo much mood! Sleek!wings.gif
    edited November 22, 2008
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif You think those are noisy? You should have seen the originals :D These are with Raw editor AND PS noise reduction.

Oh, I already knew you had done that. trust me I venture into the no-flash ISO 3200 area often in my venues.... I hate it but it's a necessary evil.. Here's a tip though, noise reduction in CS4 is far better.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Oh, I already knew you had done that. trust me I venture into the no-flash ISO 3200 area often in my venues.... I hate it but it's a necessary evil.. Here's a tip though, noise reduction in CS4 is far better.
    Direct noise reduction in CS4? Better than Noiseware (my fave) or other plug-ins? If so, please elaborate as I've never even looked for a NR filter inside CS4 itself.
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    I LOVE number two!!!!! Great shot! thumb.gif
    edited November 23, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Direct noise reduction in CS4? Better than Noiseware (my fave) or other plug-ins? If so, please elaborate as I've never even looked for a NR filter inside CS4 itself.

It won't replace Noiseware, but when used WITH noiseware you can kill a lot of the noise without making the image soft.

The ACR 5.1 noise reduction is what I'm talking about.. not the filter in PS..
    Modus Imagery
    edited November 23, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    They haven't installed it yet in my newsroom. but I'm considering purchasing it soon if I can.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat
  • GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Musicianship
    As a musician, and having photographed a lot of them, I absolutely love your cropping...not too close for my taste. The thing about them is you've captured the essence of the instrument...that key point of focus for each of them, without needing to show more...I think it's terrific. The lighting (or lack of it) captures it that nightclub ambience and makes it feel real. Wouldn't change it at all.

We all seem to like the trumpet as one of the top and I think that's because you didn't choose to show the embouchure - which is the usual focus for trumpet players (ever since all the Dizzy shots!). I like your choice!

These resonated with me...no pun intended...alright, pun intended.
    - Gary.