Poster Sales

PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
For those of you that may be selling custom posters through Smugmug, how are you handling the sales? I prefer to not start a custom poster project until I've received the money. I would like the customer to be able to choose the image(s) that they want utilized in the poster, and pay through Smugmug if possible, prior to me starting the project. Is there a way to set up a category for custom work so that the customer can pay for something that is not yet created, and then proof online, approve and then have it shipped? I've thought about getting paid via Paypal, and then having the final product available online for proofing. Then I have to deal with ordering and delivering the product. I would much prefer if it could all be done online.

Any suggestions?
Canon 1D Mark IIN
Canon 350D
24-70 2.8L
70-200 2.8L IS
580EX II
1.4x Extender
Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates

Comments

• TatonkaTatonka Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2008
    Maybe have a gallery for custom poster work, and simply put up a placeholder image and set a price. You could then set your "proof days" to 7, if you think you can get it all done in that time.

This is something I've been thinking about, but haven't done yet. Maybe someone out there is actually doing it somehow and will chime in.
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I don't sell posters, but I sell quite a few montages in 11x14 and 8x10. I have them in their own gallery with no shopping cart. When people want them, they send me a check and I send them the print. It's been working great so far. You can also put the posters in their own gallery and set prices oer image, not per gallery.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Rich, this is another item I wish SM offered. Poster quality large prints, instead of only photo-quality 20x30 or other fine-art paper quality print. Folks wanting posters don't seem to want frameable quality prints, they just want a poster. Other sites offer this, why can't SM?
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I sell "custom" magazine covers on my smugmug site. Mostly for BMX kids. I posted a couple samples and the requests just started coming in. Basically, I design a cover at their request and post it in a special gallery. They then order it from the site like any other image. It sounds like what you want to do is set it up like the smugmug greeting cards setup. I also sell Christmas cards from my smugmug site. In this case, the "client" looks at my site and decides what card design they like. Then I get an email requesting me to put image "X" in card style "Y". I load that custom card in a private gallery for them to view and approve. If they like it, they go back to the main card gallery and pay for the cards up front using the google checkout buttons I added. I now have the cash upfront. Then I order the cards through smugmug and have them shipped directly to their door. Works well.
    I'm not sure how much luck you will have getting them to pay you before they have seen the final product. Hopefully you have the photoshop skills to create templates to cut down on your time. I am able to do the magazine covers in about 10 minutes now so I am not investing a huge amount of time up front. I sell them pretty cheap but I find that most people order other prints as well.

link to magazine cover samples:

http://surveyor.smugmug.com/gallery/6342103_oco7H#423909795_fNUwe

link to custom cards gallery (with pre-pay function):

http://surveyor.smugmug.com/gallery/6411963_RaPrb