Talk about lagged -- Scotland Workshop shot

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited November 23, 2008 in Landscapes
Yah, this one's been sitting for a long time, kicking my butt. I've struggled with a lot of issues in processing this monster. The original is roughly 12,000 x 4,000 px. I was struggling trying to process it in 16 bit. Why? Heck if I know at this point. Hardly worth the trouble.

Anyway, I'm really hard on this image. I'd love to her your nits big or small on this one. What's wrong with it? (To me: just about everything!) :D

422420539_dacpw-XL.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    I guess I'll have at 'er!

The flare from the sun is annoying, and I'm just observing, I can't imagine how much it must irritate you! The other thing that gets me is the V in the center of the image, it's strange and cool, but while I have little sense of composition it seems too centered, but I could be way off.
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    David,

If you like it, I'll talk with you on the phone and tell you the filters and processing steps that I used. If you don't like it, I'll kill the attachment. If you want to talk about it, you can either PM me your number or I'll PM you mine.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    ive never seemed to have a nak for panos, i always want to see more FG that panos just dont do well...
    is this whats bothering you?

the sharp jagged rocks bottom frame left seems to be the only issue to me.... i wish i could have more of that area in the shot...

the main center fg rock seems to divide the pano up into two sections...but maybe on a large print that might make it seem more intirguing...
    just on the little scale of the lcd it might seem divided...ne_nau.gif

your way to hard on your work....

it seems to me your colors are right on. but i wasnt there...and i wont let you forget it.....

next you will prolly be on a island off the coast of cali taking in more photography without me....

thats it ive had it!rolleyes1.gif

oh, btw, harumph!
    Aaron Nelson
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    The colouring and hue are very beautiful. ARtistic in deed clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    I guess I'll have at 'er!

The flare from the sun is annoying, and I'm just observing, I can't imagine how much it must irritate you! The other thing that gets me is the V in the center of the image, it's strange and cool, but while I have little sense of composition it seems too centered, but I could be way off.

Heh, actually what's left of the sun flare I like. It was the big blotch that was troublesome.

Thanks for the comment, I don't think you're way off. Part of the reason I took so long on this one was I wasn't even sure if it was worth it. And I'm still on the fence. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 23, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    David,

If you like it, I'll talk with you on the phone and tell you the filters and processing steps that I used. If you don't like it, I'll kill the attachment. If you want to talk about it, you can either PM me your number or I'll PM you mine.

Dixie,

Once again you prove what a kind and generous, stand-up guy you are. thumb.gif

I never have a problem with people reworking a photo of mine to demonstrate something in processing. This is a place for all to learn. Go for it.

That being said: while my image is still a bit flat to me, your rendition of it is just too unreal for my taste. I need to find it believable, and I don't. It's perty, for sure. Just overbaked for me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 23, 2008
    ive never seemed to have a nak for panos, i always want to see more FG that panos just dont do well...
    is this whats bothering you?

the sharp jagged rocks bottom frame left seems to be the only issue to me.... i wish i could have more of that area in the shot...

the main center fg rock seems to divide the pano up into two sections...but maybe on a large print that might make it seem more intirguing...
    just on the little scale of the lcd it might seem divided...ne_nau.gif

your way to hard on your work....

it seems to me your colors are right on. but i wasnt there...and i wont let you forget it.....

next you will prolly be on a island off the coast of cali taking in more photography without me....

thats it ive had it!rolleyes1.gif

oh, btw, harumph!

Yah, that bit of rock is a little distracting. It is a bit divided, and the sky's a bit boring, and is it really all that compelling? Meh. :D

Oh, and don't blame ME for the fact that you didn't come to Scotland, or the Sierras, or....wherever!!! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 23, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    The colouring and hue are very beautiful. ARtistic in deed clap.gif :ivar wings.gif

Thanks, but I'm still not convinced. :D

Kidding. Thanks much for the kind words.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Hi David

I think it is too bottom heavy. The large rock foreground center is overbearing, and the edges are dark and gloomy.

Try cropping more from the bottom and see how that looks.

Sweet colors, nice star.

I just went back for another look, and maybe what is missing is flow -> there are no leading lines and I can't figure out where to look, how to move my eyes to appreciate it all.
    The star on the left and the tall rock on the right compete for attention. The heavy center screams 'look at me'.
    ann
    edited November 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi David

I think it is too bottom heavy. The large rock foreground center is overbearing, and the edges are dark and gloomy.

Try cropping more from the bottom and see how that looks.

Sweet colors, nice star.

I just went back for another look, and maybe what is missing is flow -> there are no leading lines and I can't figure out where to look, how to move my eyes to appreciate it all.
    The star on the left and the tall rock on the right compete for attention. The heavy center screams 'look at me'.
    ann

Thanks, Ann. Good comments.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    David,

I look at it and my eye gets stuck on the center foreground rock. I agree with Ann, it's framed in dark rocks all around and there is nothing lighter or contrasty to lead your eye out into the rest of the picture. Maybe it's the lighting but the white balance of the central rock seems different than the rest of the picture.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Part of the reason I took so long on this one was I wasn't even sure if it was worth it. And I'm still on the fence.

There's your answer right there.

If you don't feel it when you shoot it or know where you're going when you sit down to process it, it's going to be one beast of a journey....
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I was standing not to far from you and I too have not spent the time to stitch any composition together. It was ironic, that evening. We walked about a mile through some of the most unique landscape I have ever seen, but had a very difficult time finding a photograph. I do like the centered composition of this image. It almost looks as if it were duplicated side to side giving it a rather cool twist IMO. However, what I recall of the place is not coming through in this composition. Your stitching ability is getting quite good though as this is not an easy onethumb.gif Consider it practice for that perfect composition in the futurewings.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I really like this image. I feel like I'm sitting right in the middle of it, thanks to the big rock. I like the darkness of the bottom corners and how the sun kisses the tops of the rocks. There's just enough warmth for me to be able to imagine the sun on my skin, without overwhelming the photo. The colors of the sky are subtle and serene. So my eyes first go down to the big rock I'm "sitting on", then to the sun, and then they follow the horizon. I like the journey. I also love the texture going on in this shot. The rough rocks contrast so nicely with the glassy water. I could do without the small jagged rocks sticking up to the left of the big rock. If a little was cropped from the foreground, those would be gone, and the feeling of sitting on a big rock looking out across the ocean would be stronger.

Caroline
    edited November 23, 2008
    I was standing not to far from you and I too have not spent the time to stitch any composition together. It was ironic, that evening. We walked about a mile through some of the most unique landscape I have ever seen, but had a very difficult time finding a photograph. I do like the centered composition of this image. It almost looks as if it were duplicated side to side giving it a rather cool twist IMO. However, what I recall of the place is not coming through in this composition. Your stitching ability is getting quite good though as this is not an easy onethumb.gif Consider it practice for that perfect composition in the futurewings.gif

Yah, we pretty much could have sat on our asses 20 feet from the cars and rattled of a dozen shots, eh?

But the memories you mention: it's why this image is my desktop background on my Mac Pro these days. I may not have come away with a winning shot, but I sure cherish the memory. What a great evening, even if I didn't get the winning photo. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 23, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    There's your answer right there.

If you don't feel it when you shoot it or know where you're going when you sit down to process it, it's going to be one beast of a journey....

Yah, I know, I know!!!
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 23, 2008
    I really like this image. I feel like I'm sitting right in the middle of it, thanks to the big rock. I like the darkness of the bottom corners and how the sun kisses the tops of the rocks. There's just enough warmth for me to be able to imagine the sun on my skin, without overwhelming the photo. The colors of the sky are subtle and serene. So my eyes first go down to the big rock I'm "sitting on", then to the sun, and then they follow the horizon. I like the journey. I also love the texture going on in this shot. The rough rocks contrast so nicely with the glassy water. I could do without the small jagged rocks sticking up to the left of the big rock. If a little was cropped from the foreground, those would be gone, and the feeling of sitting on a big rock looking out across the ocean would be stronger.

Caroline

Wow. Thanks! :D
    Moderator Emeritus