Chantel

JDEORTAJDEORTA Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited November 28, 2008 in People
I like for some reason:wink
thoughts? constructive criticism please.

422442894_AEKGM-X3.jpg
Jose D.
Canon 40D
EF 28-135 IS USM
Speedlight 580EX II

www.deortaphotography.com

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    JDEORTA wrote:
    I like for some reasonmwink.gif
    thoughts? constructive criticism please.
    I don't like fetish/bondage, period. I strongly believe women are meant to be beautiful, not humiliated and trashed.
    Sorry, can't add much to this. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JDEORTAJDEORTA Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't like fetish/bondage, period. I strongly believe women are meant to be beautiful, not humiliated and trashed.
    Sorry, can't add much to this. ne_nau.gif

I agree but, This shot was pretty much something she wanted.
    Jose D.
    Canon 40D
    EF 28-135 IS USM
    Speedlight 580EX II

www.deortaphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Just for the record, I agree with Nik about the "value" of a woman ...

About this as a photo...I really don't think it works and for these reasons:
    • It's over sharpened - check out the ghosting on and around her right arm
    • Not enough work has gone into considering the concept - she's all clean and pretty. The scene would suggest that she should be dirty, bruised, abused, etc - but if you choose to do one like that, please, please put up a warning in the title - I would rather not see such and image
    • Check out her expression - it doesn't say fear. It doesn't say anticipation. It really doesn't say much at all.

Some good things:
    • Exposure appears to be quite good
    • I like the composition - that tilt is about right
    • The toning of the image is good as well. Though I think a high-contrast B&W would work better.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 24, 2008
    I think this picture works, it's a nice shot. Fetish/bondage themed posing doesn't have to be degrading/abusive to anyone and I don't think that this picture even comes close to that anyway.

I don't see the ghosting that Scott is refering to, but I am on a work PC with an uncalibrated monitor and an awful video card. Everything else seems to be in order.

Nice job! thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Well I do like fetish/bondage pics but would not consider this in that genre at all. Her expression, makeup and all that just don't fit that genre.

And just to be clear, you can just as easily feature a guy in a fetish pic as you can a woman.

To clear up something else, fetish and bondage pics don't have to be about humiliation and trashing (unless that's your fetish, of course). There are PLENTY of fetish photos that feature a model simply wearing cool latex or PVC designs. Tickling someone with a feather can be a fetish-- not much trashing there, right?

And finally, I will point out that all kinds of mainstream fashion designers have picked up and ripped off on the fetish look for years. For example, knee high leather stilletto boots? Yep, fetish inspired. Any designs with PVC or latex-- or how about the popularity in mainstream fashion mags (I'm talking Vogue) of leather opera gloves? Latex leggings and chokers too. It's pretty rare, in fact, that you'll see many mainstream fashion mags that don't feature designs inspired by fetish products/clothes.

EDIT: just in case anyone is wondering, here's a very short list of brilliant fetish photogs who aren't about humiliation and trashing: Christine Kessler, Emma Delves Broughton, Eric Kroll, Chas Ray Krider, and of course the brilliant, late Bob Carlos Clarke. I have books by Kessler, Broughton, and Clarke and all three are nothing short of brilliant.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Just for the record, I agree with Nik about the "value" of a woman ...
    Scott: I fully expected you to say it could be improved by putting you in the center of the pic!!! rolleyes1.gif

Oh...that was the other shot!

- G.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I'm not a big fan of this image, tbh; Some reasons:

Not enough attention goes to her face; Her arms, and left hand, look huge as it is now and take up a lot of attention. Also, the window (?) and sun on the wall in the back are very bright and take up a lot of attention.

I don't think the lines/ropes that hold up her hands and arms are visible enough. They (especially the right one) almost dissapear in the background. It almost looks as if they are bracelets around the wrists. I'd use some bigger/heavier ropes or chains or something.

The hole (?) in the ceiling that you can see near her left-thumb is a bit distracting, but that my be easily fixable in post thumb.gif
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    The tilt is great, exposure is not bad at all. But I don't get the feeling of any type of bondage or S&M. It's just a pretty woman, with her hands up and a seductive smile. ne_nau.gif

That same angle, and expression with her hands relaxed and normal would have been a winner for your portfolio. If you get a chance to reshoot, I would do it. This scene has so much potential.

If the bondage is what you are looking for, you need to have some fun with make up and wardrobe. And you might have to 'dirty up' the background a bit.

But over all, it's a nice photo except for the halo on the right hand.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    wonderful shot in deed! clap.gifwings.gif :ivar