Irina: Top Ten

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited November 23, 2008 in People
These are from last Sunday, finally got my paws on them today..

1. Meet Irina:

422312398_ciyTy-X2.jpg

2. She likes to play with her smartphone:

422312492_BtVmZ-X2.jpg

3. She looks very cool in her jacket:

422313006_U8Afm-X2.jpg

4. And even more so int her hat:

422313581_yHKjW-X2.jpg

As a second part of the shoot she slipped into something more comfortable...:wink

5. Pink 1:

422450653_mpJnh-X2.jpg

6. Pink 2:

422450813_wp337-X2.jpg

7. Pink 3:

422450956_9nK7b-X2.jpg

8. Blue 1:

422451047_xfkfr-X2.jpg

9. Blue 2:

422451100_8VpHA-X2.jpg

10. Blue 3:

422451361_8guZL-X2.jpg

Enjoy! C&C is welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    hey Nik!

you've got some great photo's in this set (as usual). But I'm going to take a moment to point out some thing that, IMHO, detract from the final product. While I am generally wow'ed by what you do, and could, in no way, replicate it, I hope some of the things I'm going to point out will help give you things to think about in the future...

In general, I really like the way you use your fabric to set off the bkgd. You use it to excellent results in #1.

I love the glamour look in #3 - you got it spot on there.

For the pink series, her lipstick is off. It is too bright a pink and your fabric has too much orange (peach) in it and I feel the two colors clash. A more natural or peach color lip color might have really worked well. Also, in the first of that series, it comes off as implied nude, but the hint of jeans jsut below her left arm might be best cloned out to complete that illusion.

I generally like the blue series, but, as a female, I do notice other aspects of your model that some of your male viewers might miss mwink.gif I think Irina's hair is pulled back too severely here in general. For the most part, it works ok in the 1st and 2nd blue shots, but in the 3rd, the way it looks on her right is particularly unflattering to her.

and on a side note, while you don't have any of your typical ladder shots here, I've always groaned when you show them with the wheels. For some reason, that always particularly bothers me. I don't know if it comes across too industrial for your glamour shots or what, but I really think that if you switched out that step ladder for one that doesn't have the wheels on one side, it would come across that much stronger!

so, my two cents, fwiw.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hey Nik!

you've got some great photo's in this set (as usual). But I'm going to take a moment to point out some thing that, IMHO, detract from the final product. While I am generally wow'ed by what you do, and could, in no way, replicate it, I hope some of the things I'm going to point out will help give you things to think about in the future...

In general, I really like the way you use your fabric to set off the bkgd. You use it to excellent results in #1.

I love the glamour look in #3 - you got it spot on there.

For the pink series, her lipstick is off. It is too bright a pink and your fabric has too much orange (peach) in it and I feel the two colors clash. A more natural or peach color lip color might have really worked well. Also, in the first of that series, it comes off as implied nude, but the hint of jeans jsut below her left arm might be best cloned out to complete that illusion.

I generally like the blue series, but, as a female, I do notice other aspects of your model that some of your male viewers might miss mwink.gif I think Irina's hair is pulled back too severely here in general. For the most part, it works ok in the 1st and 2nd blue shots, but in the 3rd, the way it looks on her right is particularly unflattering to her.

and on a side note, while you don't have any of your typical ladder shots here, I've always groaned when you show them with the wheels. For some reason, that always particularly bothers me. I don't know if it comes across too industrial for your glamour shots or what, but I really think that if you switched out that step ladder for one that doesn't have the wheels on one side, it would come across that much stronger!

so, my two cents, fwiw.

cheers,

C.
    Thank you Colleen, appreciate the feedback! thumb.gif
    Wheels on the ladder, huh? lol... I have a bigger one w/o them, but it's wooden, kinda creates some Home Depot look-and-feel, so I don't use it much! And I guess I can take off the wheel from this one, at least temporarily...:D

As to the last one: while I agree that her hair may be in a less flattering shape, it also brings a certain "Andelina Jolie in Beowolf" kinda look, so I let it slip in:-). And you're correct, I'm 100% male, hence my biases mwink.gif
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    bowdown.gif Holy cow! These are great, Nik! Really, really nice.

I'm not too crazy about #4 -- just doesn't have the impact of the others. And the first two are nice except the backdrop.

I also might cut the series down to five or six images.

But jeez -- you've really nailed your lighting and your models are fantastic lately. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited November 23, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    bowdown.gif Holy cow! These are great, Nik! Really, really nice.

I'm not too crazy about #4 -- just doesn't have the impact of the others. And the first two are nice except the backdrop.

I also might cut the series down to five or six images.

But jeez -- you've really nailed your lighting and your models are fantastic lately. thumb.gif
    Thanks Pete! thumb.gif
    If all plays out as I have planned, you gonna love the next few weeks :-) mwink.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Love 5, 8, 9, 10!
    Nice!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited November 23, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Love 5, 8, 9, 10!
    Nice!
    Thanks Damon!thumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    She's beautiful Nik and you captured her well. I love 3 & 4. Sweet lighting with that "look" of excellence. Way to be!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 23, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    She's beautiful Nik and you captured her well. I love 3 & 4. Sweet lighting with that "look" of excellence. Way to be!
    Thanks David! thumb.gif