Help! Lcd screen not working on canon 20D

abergaberg Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited November 22, 2008 in Cameras
I've had my camera about 3 years and my 20D lcd screen stopped working today. Everything else appears to be functioning correctly. I was able to continue shooting, but without the ability to see on my screen. Any suggestions? I do use a Battery grip and I tried taking batteries out for a while and replacing. I know everything was fully charged, but I have heard there is also a hidden battery in the 20d? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 22, 2008
    aberg wrote:
    I've had my camera about 3 years and my 20D lcd screen stopped working today. Everything else appears to be functioning correctly. I was able to continue shooting, but without the ability to see on my screen. Any suggestions? I do use a Battery grip and I tried taking batteries out for a while and replacing. I know everything was fully charged, but I have heard there is also a hidden battery in the 20d? I would appreciate any suggestions.

The Canon 20D has a button-cell "backup" battery. If you remove both it and the main batteries for a while you may be able to reset the system. Whether that revives the LCD display is anyone's guess, but it's worth a try.

To see how to remove the backup battery, check your user manual or see this PDF:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0900000259/EOS20DIM-EN.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2008
    May just be at the end of its life. Sadly digital cameras have a shorter shelf life than the old fully manual non-electronic tanks cameras use to be. Could send it for a repair or get a new body.
    The benefits of all the electronics is amazing. However, there are just more things that could go wrong now. I paid about $40 and got my Olympus manufacturers warranty extended to 3 years. Not sure if Canon does anything like that.