3 Minute Exposure
F5.6
Middle of the night
Snow Glow on the clouds, popped a few orange flashes on the floats

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Like the way you put this one together. Well worth the effort you
    gave it for the result we get to see. & those things we don't get to see.

I confess I had to think about it for awhile. Guess I'm gettin' slow.
    Michael
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    I wasn't sure what to expect when clicking on this, but I like it. The red gives a lot of tension to this scene, along with the perspective which isn't really typical. :D

I love the night clouds, too. I'm surprised they didn't move more in 3 minutes! thumb.gif
  • TrulyAlaskanTrulyAlaskan Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    Thanks to both of you!

DaddyO- yeah the shot took a while. The 3 minutes was the short part. The long part was waiting for it to get dark enough... thankfully we only have a few hours of daylight these days.

schmoo - The clouds actually did move quite a bit. I was almost afraid there wouldn't be enough movement. Thankfully there was.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2008
    lol3.gif

Good one! I was thinking a slighly higher viewpoint might have been worth considering, but I'm not sure really.

I like your use of light :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited November 23, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    lol3.gif

Good one! I was thinking a slighly higher viewpoint might have been worth considering, but I'm not sure really.

I like your use of light :D

Thanks! I actually have one that is slightly higher, but it wasn't nearly as dramatic.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008

3 Minute Exposure
    F5.6
    Middle of the night
    Snow Glow on the clouds, popped a few orange flashes on the floats

I love it, where's the rest of the plane?
    The floats look in to be in good condition, can they just be removed from the plane and put back on when needed?

Great feel to that image, the light works very well clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited November 24, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    I love it, where's the rest of the plane?
    The floats look in to be in good condition, can they just be removed from the plane and put back on when needed?

Happily flying around on regular landing gear probably. I'd guess it takes a couple of blokes with spanners and a crane a couple of hours to switch from floats to wheels.

Floats are huge heavy things and cost load capacity, speed and fuel to fly with and then when, say the lakes freeze over, it'll save a bundle of money to switch to wheels or skis.
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 25, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Happily flying around on regular landing gear probably. I'd guess it takes a couple of blokes with spanners and a crane a couple of hours to switch from floats to wheels.

Floats are huge heavy things and cost load capacity, speed and fuel to fly with and then when, say the lakes freeze over, it'll save a bundle of money to switch to wheels or skis.

This pretty much sums it up. Actually the plane is about 20 feet to the left sitting pretty on a pair of skis :D

It's amazing how much better she flies during the winter.... sooo much more performance.

Thank you all for your comments :D

I have some more photos from tonight's photo shoot in an abandoned building. They should be up tomorrow. I'm a bit exhausted
    edited November 25, 2008
    Here are a few from last night's UrbEx in Whitter AK. So I've got some e-mails lately asking me how hard it is to get in to buildings like this and how much risk there is once inside.... So here are some answers:

I usually go with one of my good photographer buddies when doing these. He and I are working together to make these shots possible. Before entering any building we really do try to get permission. Sometimes that is just not possible, so we leave a public notice on the building 2-3 weeks prior to entering.
    For the big buildings like this one, we carry all kinds of protective gear. Steel toe, heel, and shank boots, Full face respirator, full coveralls, and enough flashlights to light a small town.
    Yes, walking though abandoned buildings in the wintertime in Alaska is dangerous. I cannot tell you how many animal tracks we have seen in buildings like this. Bears are sometimes lazy, and this works as a winter den. Snow and Ice are very heavy and when stacked on a building that is not maintained can cause some serious damage. Transients like these buildings too, they provide a nice place to sleep, but hoodlums also like them for a place to hang out and cause problems. Alaska has no conceal and carry laws, so we take full advantage of this. Just in case.

424414129_fNhUK-M.jpg
    Inside the Medical Ward of the Buckner Building

Tokina 12-24 @ 12
    60 Second Exposure
    F5.6

424414958_CKNNh-M.jpg

Tokina 12-24 @ 12
    60 Second Exposure
    F5.6

424419637_4Q5Jk-M.jpg
    Tokina 12-24 @ 12
    60 Second Exposure
    F5.6

Sorry about the Watermark... but these days you can't be too careful
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    These are spectacular! Its amazing what can be done with places and objects that others would pass by as junk. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

btw, I'm not seeing a watermark. headscratch.gif
    edited November 25, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    These are spectacular! Its amazing what can be done with places and objects that others would pass by as junk. Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif

btw, I'm not seeing a watermark. headscratch.gif

Thank you very much Travis. This kind of photography is really a whole lot of fun!

The watermark is very very light. It can be seen in the Radioactive shot... look dead center... it's my moose logo...
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    These are very very cool. Well done in the fun. clap.gif
    I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking very little PS if any was used in these creations.

Its nice to hear of the caution and care you use before, during, and
    after entering old structures. Good for you! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
    edited November 25, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    These are very very cool. Well done in the fun. clap.gif
    I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking very little PS if any was used in these creations.

Its nice to hear of the caution and care you use before, during, and
    after entering old structures. Good for you! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks so much!

There is *some* PS used, however, I use this very very lightly. All the colors you see are done while the shutter is open. I walk around with flashlights and off camera flashes covered in theatrical lighting gel. The only PS that I do is noise reduction (neat image), Hot pixel elimination (Hot Pixel Eliminator), and usually a reduction in color saturation. Yes, I said reduction. Occasionally I will use the dodge/burn tools to darken and highlight some areas.

Thanks again for all the compliments :D
    edited November 26, 2008
    Here are a few from last night's UrbEx in Whitter AK. So I've got some e-mails lately asking me how hard it is to get in to buildings like this and how much risk there is once inside.... So here are some answers:

Those are worth their own thread! Looks quite incredible :D
    Creativity's hard.