Options

shooting ornaments

Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited December 5, 2008 in Technique
i have several antique multi-facetted and colorful ornaments that are from my great grandmother that, since i have a three yr old, are just not practical for the tree until he's past the 'moving ornaments all over the branches' stage. however, they're pretty sentimental for me, so i was thinking i'd try to set up a shot of them that i could at least get a great frame for and hang every year at the holidays.
my issues are that i have no professional lights and no tripod, and i'm positive that it's user error, but i can't get the setting 'right' on my Nikon D80 to take images of ornaments at all. :dunno

now, i know i could manufacture a way to reduce shake by sitting the camera on something to shoot, and i do have a room on the back of the house that is mostly all windows so the natural light is great in there. i guess i need to just set up a few shots and fire away, but was wondering if there are any tips you wise folks might know that could help. i've honestly not shot much still life, but have started to really love some of the results i've gotten.

anyway, TIA.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited November 23, 2008
    Ornaments are just another "product" and can be considered in the same genre as other reflective products of the same or similar size.

Typically you would use:

1) A close focus lens to try to fill the frame as much as possible. A small aperture is also normally beneficial.
    2) A product table, and "sweep" beneath, to eliminate cast shadows, unless you wish shadows (then you would just use a background "sweep".)
    3) A light tent to yield more diffuse light and softer shadows and to help control reflected images in reflective surfaces.
    4) Controlled lighting. This can include reflectors and "flags" if you are using a daylight-filled room.

The product table and light tent can often be improvised, so if you have a suitable lens and lighting you should be good to go. Reflector can be constructed from aluminum foil on a cardboard frame or you can use other household mirrors and such to provide added illumination.

Some other good tips in the following threads:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75658
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81713
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=77315
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    2) A product table, and "sweep" beneath, to eliminate cast shadows, unless you wish shadows (then you would just use a background "sweep".)

Curious what a "sweep" is, and the differences between a "Sweep" and background "sweep"?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,831 moderator
    edited November 28, 2008
    Toshido wrote:
    Curious what a "sweep" is, and the differences between a "Sweep" and background "sweep"?

I did not phrase that too well. What I meant:

2) A product table, and "sweep" beneath the glass of the product table, to eliminate cast shadows, unless you wish shadows (then you would just use a background "sweep" and place the object on top of the sweep itself.)

(A "sweep" is just a term for a draped cloth or paper that does not have a sharp corner or edge visible in the image.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
  • Options
    nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    using the christmas lights them selvs can turn out pretty good, but it sounds like you want the focus purely on the ornament. i did this one not to long ago, in very low light with just the tree lights, i love the look of some of the ornaments but they are more simple and not faceted or anything

sniebp.jpg
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    No examples to post, but i did this last year with my D50 used the internal flash and the tamron 18-200 lens and a nikon 70-300 with a screw on macro filters. i think you should just try some shots right off the tree, temporarily hang the ornaments, and use a macro if you have, if not evilbay sells macro filters.
    i'll post some pics from this year (when the tree goes up) I pick up the tamron 70-200 2.8 and 28-75 2.8 macro's and cant wait to do some shots of the tree.

Thanks for the idear of framing them for view or even add them to a photofram to view in the summer. (cool thoughts on hot days)
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com