Options

Digital Backdrops?

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
What is your opinion of digital backdrops? I don't have anything right now, no studio equipment or background. Bored with taking pictures around the house since it is sooo cold outside, and I want to setup a mini studio very cheaply. Just wanted some opinions, and if you do use them, where do you buy them from? Thx
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    What is your opinion of digital backdrops? I don't have anything right now, no studio equipment or background. Bored with taking pictures around the house since it is sooo cold outside, and I want to setup a mini studio very cheaply. Just wanted some opinions, and if you do use them, where do you buy them from? Thx

I'm not recommending Owens Bigital Backdrops because he is in Ks.....he just has some very cool backdrops and software too boot.

He has a killer combo where you get an 11 x 20 chroma key screen and all of his backdrops (14 cd's worth) on 1 dvd for under $400....or just the dvd with all 14 cd's on it for under $200...also towards the bottom of the linked home page is his trial section....one download for each of the following software's.....photoshop, corel photopaint and paintshop pro....yep 3 trial downloads..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited November 24, 2008
    Just remember that with a green/blue screen you are going to use 2 lighting setups:

1) Lighting the subject.
    2) Lighting the green/blue screen itself.

... and those 2 lighting considerations can compromise each other with some lighting scenarios.

You also tend to need a fair amount of shooting space to make it work well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    downbelowis1downbelowis1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 1, 2008

I'm still learning to use these myself - but have come up with some great results that I'm happy with. I purchased my digital backdrops from Ne's Creation Designs. Great quality and affordable! But that's just my opinion.

I also use a white backdrop as well as the green chromakey.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008

I also use a white backdrop as well as the green chromakey.

Downbelowis1, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That's a great tip, about using a white background. Simple white backgrounds can work as well as blue/green screen backgrounds for background removal and replacement.

As long as the white in the background is the whitest thing in the image it can be "keyed" out and it doesn't "color poison" things like hair and fuzzy sweaters and the rim of the subject. You can also build a simple mask for the subject if the subject has any white sections, as long as the subject's white doesn't lap onto the background.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DulaMugDulaMug Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Downbelowis1, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

That's a great tip, about using a white background. Simple white backgrounds can work as well as blue/green screen backgrounds for background removal and replacement.

As long as the white in the background is the whitest thing in the image it can be "keyed" out and it doesn't "color poison" things like hair and fuzzy sweaters and the rim of the subject. You can also build a simple mask for the subject if the subject has any white sections, as long as the subject's white doesn't lap onto the background.
    What is the best software to use that will give you the masking and color keying and minimizing color spill?

Will the final product have quality enough for formal wedding portraits?

Bill headscratch.gif