Options

Statistics Help?

neophyteneophyte Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited November 29, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Can anyone point me to a general discussion on stats?

Statcounter shows me data I can't interpret. For example, wild swings from 25 unique visitors yesterday (historically low) to 483 so far today (fourth highest). What might cause such a spike in the numbers, followed (usually) by a drop back to 70 or 80?

Also, is there a comprehensive FAQ on what the Smugmug stats can and can't tell you? It's nice to see page views by gallery, but can one drill down a little more? I'd really like to see, specifically, exit page, so I could tell how close to a sale I'm coming - like how many left with something in their shopping cart.

Possible?

Thanks
Neophyte
http://www.earthphotos.com

Comments

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    neophyte wrote:
    Can anyone point me to a general discussion on stats?

Statcounter shows me data I can't interpret. For example, wild swings from 25 unique visitors yesterday (historically low) to 483 so far today (fourth highest). What might cause such a spike in the numbers, followed (usually) by a drop back to 70 or 80?

Also, is there a comprehensive FAQ on what the Smugmug stats can and can't tell you? It's nice to see page views by gallery, but can one drill down a little more? I'd really like to see, specifically, exit page, so I could tell how close to a sale I'm coming - like how many left with something in their shopping cart.

Possible?

Thanks
    Neophyte
    http://www.earthphotos.com
    Sorry, I can't help you a lot on the Stat Counter issue. I would say, most of the time all those numbers will start to average out. I know my site varies all the time.

Sorry, our stats won't give you any inforamtion on who or where the images were viewed, only the amount of hits and on which sizes. This is why we recommend to use Stat Counter or Google Analytics.
  • Options
    neophyteneophyte Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Thank you Rich.

Anybody else on the StatCounter thing?
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Google Analytics is pretty powerful. I find that using that combined with the inherent SM stat counter is a decent measure of activity, and they seem to track along with what I expect to see given events I've covered, uploads, seasonal activity, etc. GA is especially helpful by showing keyword searches, referral sites, browsers, bandwidths, etc. Ad cool to see over two dozen countries as the locations lol.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    neophyte wrote:
    Thank you Rich.

Anybody else on the StatCounter thing?

I am, and love it so far. Been using it 50 days or so and I definitely see some peaks and valleys but usually attribute that to handing out marketing materials at an event (will see a peak the next few days) and if I don't shoot any new events or upload anything for a few days it will drop down.

My averages look like this:

<TABLE class=standard><TBODY><TR><TD class=tableHeaderLeft></TD><TD class=tableHeaderRight>Page Loads</TD><TD class=tableHeaderRight>Unique Visitors</TD><TD class=tableHeaderRight>First Time Visitors</TD><TD class=tableHeaderRight>Returning Visitors</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableContent2LeftSpaced colSpan=2>Total</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>87,387</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>15,614</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>14,683</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>931</TD></TR><TR><TD class=tableContent2LeftSpaced colSpan=2>Average</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>1,713</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>306</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>288</TD><TD class=tableContent2RightSpaced>18</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    One thing about wild swings in visits..

I see you have a link to your website in your signature on this forum. I've noticed that I tend to get a flurry of activity on my site after I make a post to a forum (here or elsewhere). If you also blog, that can have the same effect.

As others have pointed out, you need to supplement SM's statistics with the Statcounter/Google tools. SM's stats will tell you what people are looking at whereas Statcounter/Google will tell you where they're coming from, how long they're staying, and if they're repeat visitors.

One important note about the Statcounter is that the data returned is dependant on the visitor enabling cookies in their browser. You may have more visitors than are reflected in your Statcounter numbers. Also, make sure you use the Statcounter tool to EXCLUDE your visits from the results.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    scole wrote:
    One thing about wild swings in visits..

I see you have a link to your website in your signature on this forum. I've noticed that I tend to get a flurry of activity on my site after I make a post to a forum (here or elsewhere). If you also blog, that can have the same effect.

As others have pointed out, you need to supplement SM's statistics with the Statcounter/Google tools. SM's stats will tell you what people are looking at whereas Statcounter/Google will tell you where they're coming from, how long they're staying, and if they're repeat visitors.

One important note about the Statcounter is that the data returned is dependant on the visitor enabling cookies in their browser. You may have more visitors than are reflected in your Statcounter numbers. Also, make sure you use the Statcounter tool to EXCLUDE your visits from the results.

Statcounter hits are not dependent upon a cookie. The tracking of an individual visitor and where they go is dependent upon a cookie, but you won't miss any page hits, even if cookies are disabled.

Using hide owner or setting appearance to "Smugmug" instead of "Custom" will kill your customization for a gallery and thus kill your statcounter code too so you won't record any statcounter hits on that gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Statcounter hits are not dependent upon a cookie. The tracking of an individual visitor and where they go is dependent upon a cookie, but you won't miss any page hits, even if cookies are disabled.

Using hide owner or setting appearance to "Smugmug" instead of "Custom" will kill your customization for a gallery and thus kill your statcounter code too so you won't record any statcounter hits on that gallery.

Thanks John for the clarification. I did NOT know about the Smugmug view vs Custom so that might explain why some of my visitors visits don't appear in my Statcounter results.
  • Options
    DGmacDGmac Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Google Analytics
    Hi Folks, hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I just downloaded the Google Analytics and am not sure where to place the code in the customization area of the control panel. Can anyone give me a little guidance on where to place the code?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    DGmac wrote:
    Hi Folks, hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I just downloaded the Google Analytics and am not sure where to place the code in the customization area of the control panel. Can anyone give me a little guidance on where to place the code?
    Thanks,
    Hello wave.gif we have tutorial right here

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794

:D
  • Options
    DGmacDGmac Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Google Analytics
    Andy wrote:
    Hello wave.gif we have tutorial right here

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1092794

:D
    Thanks Andy. I appreciate your help and sorry you are working on Thanksgiving. Have a great day
  • Options
    JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    stats counter
    One important note about the Statcounter is that the data returned is dependant on the visitor enabling cookies in their browser. You may have more visitors than are reflected in your Statcounter numbers. Also, make sure you use the Statcounter tool to EXCLUDE your visits from the results.[/quote]

Hi steve,

I am very new. How do you do this. I looked on the stats page and didn't see any way to exclude my views from the stats..

thanks

Jay
  • Options
    JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    JRSEE wrote:

Hi steve,

I am very new. How do you do this. I looked on the stats page and didn't see any way to exclude my views from the stats..

thanks

Jay[/quote]
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2008
    JRSEE wrote:
    Hi steve,

thanks

Jay
    [/QUOTE]
    Hello Jay, I answered your email on this, too. Owner views are automatically excluded.