Expert advice on buy a Kenko extension Tube

susiewongsusiewong Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 12, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hullo

I have a Nikon D80.

As I enjoy macro, I have a Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D.

Unfortunately it does not allow me to get closer enough to the subject.

Thanking of buying extension tubes, or rather one extension tube which could do the job.

I don't think I need all three ( rather expensive)

Question can one extension do the job of getting close enough to the subject?

If so, which size extension tube would suffice? If you could provide the mm number.

Or will only the whole set of Kenko Extension tubes be the most viable for good macro outcome?

thank you

Sue

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 24, 2008
    Hi Sue, i use the kenko tubes and almost always swap between the different sizes depending on subject. i also use 20mm tube on a 70-300 zoom which is great for dragonflys & butterflys.

i would sugest you do get the set, much more flexable to use.
    my recent threads dew drop was taken with full set on 100mm macro, the spiders had 36+ 12mm tubes on the 100mm.
    check out http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/
    great prices
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Agree with above- I'd try to get a set. Allows you to vary the magnification a bit and get a max magnification of around 2.5:1 at a guess with that lens and all the tubes.
    Brian V.
  • susiewongsusiewong Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Expert advice on buying a Kenko extension Tube
    On the 24 November 2008 I posted a thread on advice on buying a Kenko Extentsion Tube.

Well I have splashed out and now am a proud owner of the Kenko Tubes.

However, It seems, for me anyway, that using the Kenko tubes with my 60 mm macro lens is not simply attaching the tubes and turning the focus ring.

Attaching the tubes is easy but how to use the lens and tubes together in order for the camera to focus. Looking though the view find no matter what I do, everything in front is a blur.

The lens is on manual as well as the camera. ( manual is not my usual shoorting mode) I am very much a beginner.

Turning the focus ring of the lens every way - still a blur, i.e no subject matter that I wish to photograph can be seen. As if somebody has rubbed vaseline on the lens. It seems to me that the tubes should also have a focus ring.

I even tried with one kenko tube - I really feel so stupid. I have experimented with different aperture sizes, to no avail.

Perhaps somebody can walk me through steps . i. e. in relation to focus ring, aperture number etc. etc.

Be grateful if you could use simple language, treat me like an 8 year old - Though I think an 8 year old would be able to work things out better than I can.

Thanking you in advance.

Sue
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    susiewong wrote:
    On the 24 November 2008 I posted a thread on advice on buying a Kenko Extentsion Tube.

However, It seems, for me anyway, that using the Kenko tubes with my 60 mm macro lens is not simply attaching the tubes and turning the focus ring.

Attaching the tubes is easy but how to use the lens and tubes together in order for the camera to focus. Looking though the view find no matter what I do, everything in front is a blur.

The lens is on manual as well as the camera. ( manual is not my usual shoorting mode) I am very much a beginner.

Turning the focus ring of the lens every way - still a blur, i.e no subject matter that I wish to photograph can be seen. As if somebody has rubbed vaseline on the lens. It seems to me that the tubes should also have a focus ring.

I even tried with one kenko tube - I really feel so stupid. I have experimented with different aperture sizes, to no avail.

Perhaps somebody can walk me through steps . i. e. in relation to focus ring, aperture number etc. etc.

Be grateful if you could use simple language, treat me like an 8 year old - Though I think an 8 year old would be able to work things out better than I can.

Thanking you in advance.

Sue

Sue- extension tubes shorten the focus distance and reduce the DOF (because of the magnification).
    Easiest way to check them out is to attach say the largest 2 rings which should give around 2:1 mag with your lens. Set the focus on the lens at minimum. stand a well lit cereal box on table and slide the camera towards the box until you see clear focus appear. This may be around 5cms in front of the lens. With macro shooting at higher magnifications it is much easier to set the focus (magnification) and move the camera to focus.

When attaching the ext tubes you should hear and feel a click as they lock into place. If you are getting aperture information ok on the body then the tubes and lens are locked correctly.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    susiewong wrote:

Thanking you in advance.

Sue

Sue your working distance has now been drastically reduced once you put those TUBES on, so if your trying to photograph something that is not within inches of your camera it will not focus.

You will find that using AUTO Focus will continually hunt when attempting to do EXTREME Macro shots, and to achieve focus you will have to use MANUAL Focus.

Sounds like your too far away from your subject,
    remember with those tubes on you can get so close to the subject you'll be almost touching it with the lens.

Good Luck thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • susiewongsusiewong Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Expert advice on buy a Kenko extension Tube
    Thanks for the responses.

Yes you are correct - I was not nearer enough to the object I was trying to photograph.

regards

Sue