rocks, seawater and a oil-rig

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited November 25, 2008 in Landscapes
Cold Play
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    should i add it to my carry around portfolio?
    or should i not be seen dead with it...??
    Aaron Nelson
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    eek7.gif This is beautiful photo Aaron loved it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Great photo.....but it looks like there was quite a bit of angle on the camera (pointing down to the rocks) and I could be all wet. Just seems it would have been stronger if the camera had been lower to the rocks and shooting more across...... however it could be tht if you had done that the waves might have blocked the off shore rig.......put it in your port folio....it is good workthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    should i add it to my carry around portfolio?
    or should i not be seen dead with it...??

Well... I don't have a carry around portfolio, so I may not know what I'm talkign about... :D

But I wouldn't mind being caught dead with it! I love the effect of the slow shutter speed on the water. It's something I've spent a lot of shots trying to get right and I haven't quite got it figured out yet... at least I haven't gotten anything close to what you've got here.

My only critique is that I want more rocks! The handful that are there just leave me wanting more. That said, put it in!! I like it!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Rich-looking shot. I think it's terrifffff... wings.gif
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    My only complaint is the contrast. I believe everything else is workingclap.gif But there is too much contrast. I would prefer a tad longer shutter speed as well. BTW it does look familiarmwink.gif
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I like the concept but personally if at all possible would have shot it closer to the water probably would have gotten soak n wet but down on my knees would be the angle I would go for. Also if it was sunrise sunset with a little more dramatic sky would just add to the capture.

Ray Still
    edited November 24, 2008
    thank you all for you comments, its greatly appreciated!bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I like it(possibly to much contrast,possibly) it still looks real, as well as surreal. Good work.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Geez I guess I am the jerk but I know you can handle it :D

I like the idea. I really like the surreal look of the waves out past the breaks. The rest of it is just 'ho hum' though.

With as close as the rocks are in the foreground they should be a lot sharper. They take up a good portion of the frame and are the main focus point. I can see the part of the rocks facing you are in shadow but I am sure you have multiple exposures of this same shot- how about a little merge or hdr magic to bring those rocks to life.deal.gif

I couldn't tell the oil rig from a sailboat at that distance without you saying what it was. ne_nau.gif It is so small though it seems like there is soo much dead space on either side of it yet there is nothing you can do crop wise because of the rocks in the foreground.

It is a square photo but it almost has a V shape because things are crowded at the bottom and then very sparse at the top. Interesting how that works. headscratch.gif

So in conclusion- I think the comp isn't really working a whole lot and the lack of detail on the rocks is the real set back. Everything else might work if the rocks were spot on.

I'll put the whip away now. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited November 25, 2008
    thanks Aaron! you dont seem at all a jerk.
    i will play with the contrasts again but, to make my reply simple...the image itself i can not make better...(not until i return), i agree with everyones posts, but its just what it is...
    i cut the right side off the original comp to balance the image as a square ratio, if you had seen the full frame you would agree on the crop...
    yes, this image is not sharp, but i wanted to work with it...hence why i went with a way way way processed image in attempt to make something out of it......

the image as it is now kinda grew on me and i wanted some feedback as to if im the only one that liked it or not...technically not a good image, but the mood really grew on me...

im glad for everyones time to post a comment, it means a lot to me!

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Cold Play
    Great image! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I agree with your own comment about how the mood grew on you. Yes, technically, it could use some improvement; but artistically, I give it a thumbs up! It speaks to me on several levels: contrast between nature and industry; cold yet comforting; visually pleasing with the softness of the water and the lines; reminder of things past (I am very much drawn to water, especially rivers, because they connect places and people and time by virtue of the water carrying people/things/time from one spot to another). All in all, I'd put it in your portfolio in a heartbeat!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 25, 2008
    Thanks Nik & RED thumb.gif

Hey Aaron, thanks to your post i just realized....
    i can do local highpass sharpening on the rocks....

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited November 25, 2008
    My only complaint is the contrast. I believe everything else is workingclap.gif But there is too much contrast. I would prefer a tad longer shutter speed as well. BTW it does look familiarmwink.gif

Marc? is it the black in the sand your complaint? or just globally contrast altogether?

you know im experimenting here right....?

im a rebel breaking all codes of conduct with this shot i know:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    The dead space actually works for me in this shot, adding to the vast coldness of the image. I agree with Aaron on the sharpness of the rock but that is a small nit. Very provoking image. thumb.gif