Beautiful Family Pics in the Park

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited December 3, 2008 in People
I had a chance to photograph these good friends of mine Saturday at a local park.

I'm happy with how they turned out but as always would appreciate any C&C, as general or as detailed as you want.

Full gallery is here: http://www.johntookmypicture.com/gallery/6639847_rNy9M

423582201_t5yRM-L.jpg

423586883_WPNwZ-L.jpg

423585227_9zjtg-XL.jpg

423599192_bSSLT-L.jpg
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    I like #1 the best of these four.

#2 - I would suggest cloning out the slobber from the boy's chin. Missing catch lights in the eyes. And those trees growing out of dad and mom's heads bugs me. Moving the camera slightly to the left could have put the tree between their heads.

#4 could use some light on your subjects (with catch lights in the eyes) and a slight camera movement to the left to prevent those trees from clinging to their heads...

#3 My eyes keep going to the trees top center, and I also notice the out of focus area at the bottom. Now if the background trees were OOF and the leaves at the bottom were in focus I might like this one better.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    What a nice family and a nice setting! thumb.gif

The skin tones seem overly orange to me.
    The light in 1 and 3 is better than in 2 and 4.
    They have very nice expressions in all of them.
    I love the comp of #4 but feel it's missing some fill. I bet with some processing it could be brightened up a bit.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    That is a beautiful family and I think you did a great job posing the them, one of the more difficult tasks. Only one pose that looks a little unnatural/uncomfortable is the wife in #3. Elaine and Bill covered the critiques prettty thoroughly. The one addition that I would make is to watch the hands. In #1, the dads hands are cutoff and in #2, the wife's hands are cut off. I see in your gallery that image #1 was shot in portrait orientation and has the hands in their entirety. For the landscape crop, you want to consider moving the crop down a little to capture the whole hand. Don't know what to do about #3? headscratch.gif

I agree that images #2 and 4 could use some selective lightening to bring out the subjects.

The DOF is great in the child shots. thumb.gif
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Thanks for the comments! Anyone have any issues with the striped sweater?

I thought it was fine, just curious since I know typically we go for solids.

Would some curves adjustments in PS help this one out some? I didn't do any but just recently picked up PSE7 and have been playing around with it...

BTW, here's a link to a 2nd set of 'family in the park' pics that I did last week, also ended up being my 1st try at any real post-processing: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=978938
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    Nice posing and pictures. They seem pretty red to me also.
    LadyTX