Nikon 80-400 lens: help needed with VR settings

Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited November 27, 2008 in Cameras
I have recently acquired a Nikon 80-400 lens for my D200. Apparently there are two different VR settings (VR, not the newer VRII as on the 18-200). Can somebody explain the difference between these two VR settings? Which one to use in which situation? Is it normal that the lens makes a rather loud clicking noise when focussing? is it normal that the image "pops" in the viewfinder?

Reason I'm asking is, I can obtain sharp images only about 50% of the time...

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    if it is still in that time zone of CAN RETURN TO STORE for a replacement ...... then do so....if not send it in for repair..... I do not own this lens but I would be beside my self if my lenses ever got noisy like that......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008
    Well, I don't own that lens, but my other VR lenses have a "Normal" and "Active" setting on the lens. I assume this is the setting you are questioning.

If you read the instructions that came with lens, the normal setting is used for normal handheld shooting situations. The active setting is recommended for when you are on a moving platform such as from a car, boat or train. It is also recommended that you turn VR off when shooting with a tripod.

As to the sound you hear, I can only say that my VR lenses emit a minimal sound when VR is activated. There is a jump in the viewfinder as well. Be sure to allow the VR to "settle" after you activate it with the shutter button half depressed.

Hope this helps.
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Well, I don't own that lens, but my other VR lenses have a "Normal" and "Active" setting on the lens. I assume this is the setting you are questioning.

If you read the instructions that came with lens, the normal setting is used for normal handheld shooting situations. The active setting is recommended for when you are on a moving platform such as from a car, boat or train. It is also recommended that you turn VR off when shooting with a tripod.

As to the sound you hear, I can only say that my VR lenses emit a minimal sound when VR is activated. There is a jump in the viewfinder as well. Be sure to allow the VR to "settle" after you activate it with the shutter button half depressed.

Hope this helps.

Mitch is 100% spot on. First RTFM not to be to bold and yes VR, IS OS, VC make noise and yes #3 the image jumps as the VR locks the shake.

Mitch I'm just up the road from you, Palm Harbor.
  • Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    If you read the instructions that came with lens...

Perhaps I should have made clear that this is a second hand lens that came without manual.
    So, again, what is the difference between the two VR settings? Which one to use in which situation?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Use the normal setting for the VR. The active should only be used when you are in a boat, etc, I've owned the lens for 5 years now and I have never had need for the active setting.

Its a good lens once you get used to the sounds of the AF. You get the best IQ when you step the aperture down. The AF needs a second or two to lock on to your subject.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 26, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:
    Perhaps I should have made clear that this is a second hand lens that came without manual.
    So, again, what is the difference between the two VR settings? Which one to use in which situation?

As usual, the internet is your friend. You can download the manual pdf file from the nikon site. Here is the link.

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/lenses/AF/AFVR_80-400mm.pdf
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:

Or you could have just read the rest of Mitch' post.
  • Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    You can download the manual pdf file from the nikon site. Here is the link.

Aaaah! TXS, Mitchell, that's what I needed and didn't find.
    edited November 27, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:
    Aaaah! TXS, Mitchell, that's what I needed and didn't find.

Enjoy your reading. Glad to help.