Magnificent Mercedes

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited November 28, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
264373270_R29nQ-XL.jpg

264373248_4T4Fz-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2008

Now that's a nice looking vehicle, I am so not into cars rolleyes1.gif
    Does that have one of those hidden seat compartments at the back?
    Or is that allllllllllllll storage?

It's in beautiful condition, you sure do find some interesting cars to shoot Tom clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for looking in. Looking at the back of this Mercedes, you can clearly see that at least one spare tire is acommodated in its own housing. The other hatch would, I believe, be for luggage....but I'm not certain about that. As you can see in the picture, this thing is huge. Quite an impressive auto.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Hi Tom
    What a gorgeous ride! I so miss the days of distinctive automobiles, when you could tell the maker from afar. The "generic" cars of today for the most part don't do anything for me. ne_nau.gif
    P.S. I really miss hood ornaments. :cry

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 26, 2008
    So does it come in a hybrid model? :D

Very cool shots. thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2008
    Hey Jack,

Again, we're of like mind. I, too, sorely miss the days when autos were more distinctive and identifiable. A few still are but sadly, as you note, the generic look seems to prevail. I have a friend who drives around in a classic Mercedes convertible. After vandals got his hood ornament for the third time, he quit using one. Sad.

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Beautiful image of a beautiful car, Tom. Your work is up to its usual high standards. thumb.gif

You're right about the round hatch; it's for the spare tire. Judging from the location of the handles on the upper hatch (and the step on the fender), I have to guess there's a rumble seat in there.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited November 27, 2008
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for looking in. No hybrid with this baby......it was a THUNDERING road machine.

Tom
    edited November 27, 2008
    Hey Lee,

I appreciate your comments. You are probably correct about the jump seat. I've seen 4 or 5 of these cars, however, and I've never seen one with the jump seat on " display ". I'm going to dig into the history of these cars and see if I can find out for sure. I always appreciate the information and perspective you bring to the table when talking old cars. Thanks.

Tom
  • samsplacesamsplace Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Hi

Just beautiful!!!! What year, original parts?

Gil
    Take Nothing But Memories:rofl
    Kill Nothing But Time :clap
    Leave Nothing But Footprints :thumb

http://www.samsplacephotos.com
    edited November 28, 2008
    Hi Gil,

I don't remember the exact year this one was made but the cars of this type and model were produced in the later 1930's. When a car goes through this thorough of a restoration.....and considering its age and rarity....it's almost impossible to avoid using at least a few fabricated " new " parts. I can't speak authoratatively about this particular car but, from its appearance, I can safely assume it went through thousands of hours of painstaking restoration at the hands of really skilled craftsmen.

Tom
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Thank you, Tom. And I appreciate the photos you present. They are always beautiful - technically aned subject-wise.

This Sunday, I'll be photographng some Lamborghinis in Woodland Hills, Ca. My goal is to bring back images that'll rival the quality of yours. mwink.gif

These folks meet every weekend, and the first Sunday of the month is the biggest: It is said that there are more cars on the first Sunday than any other, and that Jay Leno sometimes brings one of his cars (he has a Miura). Mayby I can talk him into giving me another tour of his collection! :ivar
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Howdy Tom,

What a stunning image and car. I really like the entire image, including all the people.

Looks like it was a very nice event.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas