Operation Christmas Child

dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in People
Our church has en event called Operation Christmas Child where we stuff boxes full of gifts and send them overseas to people who are less fortunate than us. I brought along my camera just for fun. Here are some of the better shots. These are straight out of the camera.

Tell me how I can improve! C&C welcome.

423515789_zdFjE-L.jpg

423515887_KwQ7x-L.jpg

423515879_iBycy-L.jpg

423516422_aKvGQ-L.jpg

423516690_kcTVi-L.jpg

423515972_o9374-L.jpg

Website
My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
| 580EX II & 430EX

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I think you did well capturing the fun atmosphere.

Watch for color casts and eye-socket shadows from lights.

For some of the smaller folks, maybe getting down on their level. It may be just me, but I really don't like shots from a perspective of looking down on younger/smaller people.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I think you did well capturing the fun atmosphere.

Watch for color casts and eye-socket shadows from lights.

For some of the smaller folks, maybe getting down on their level. It may be just me, but I really don't like shots from a perspective of looking down on younger/smaller people.

Can you explain to me what color casts means? Thanks for the tip on shooting the smaller students. I'll remember that :D

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

edited November 26, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Can you explain to me what color casts means? Thanks for the tip on shooting the smaller students. I'll remember that :D
    It appears these were shot with a mixture of ambient florescent and flash lighting. These two light sources produce light of different colors. Take a look a your first posted image. In the background, everything has a greenish cast to it while the kids in the foreground (your primary subjects) appear to have a better color to them. From this, I would have to assume that you were shooting with either AWB or with Flash WB. The fix, of course, is to afix a green gel to your flash. This will cause your the light from your flash to match that of the ambient - or at least more closely match it. Now, everything will be green. So, you either shoot a gray target to set a CWB in camera or you apply appropriate WB corrections in post. The net result is that everything has a more natural color to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 26, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Can you explain to me what color casts means?

A photo has a color cast when what should be neutral tones (all shades of gray) have a detectable color. All the other colors are affected as well, of course, which means that they are inaccurate. It's like putting a colored gel over your glasses. Casts typically come from artificial lighting, though any strong source of reflected color can also create a cast.

HTH.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    It appears these were shot with a mixture of ambient florescent and flash lighting. These two light sources produce light of different colors. Take a look a your first posted image. In the background, everything has a greenish cast to it while the kids in the foreground (your primary subjects) appear to have a better color to them. From this, I would have to assume that you were shooting with either AWB or with Flash WB. The fix, of course, is to afix a green gel to your flash. This will cause your the light from your flash to match that of the ambient - or at least more closely match it. Now, everything will be green. So, you either shoot a gray target to set a CWB in camera or you apply appropriate WB corrections in post. The net result is that everything has a more natural color to it.

Alright, I understand what you are saying. I believe I was using the Flash WB at the time. So, with the green gel, it would make everything green in the picture and then set the WB to correct that. How do you know what color gel you are going to need without seeing the picture on a computer? Is there a way to know, like with florescent you will always use green, ect...?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I have some uploading as we speak....local group rode motorcycles in 24 degree weather!. I think you captured the event well from a photojournalist view.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I think you did very well, considering the circumstances clap.gif

When I say 'the circumstances', I'm thinking tight space, lots of clutter in the background, etc.

On #1, I may crop the left side a bit, to get rid of the table/cloth (?). It does bring him pretty close to the edge, but I think I still prefer it that way.
    On #4, I would also crop a tiny bit from the left, to get rid of the person/elbow thumb.gif
    edited November 26, 2008
    dawssvt wrote:
    Alright, I understand what you are saying. I believe I was using the Flash WB at the time. So, with the green gel, it would make everything green in the picture and then set the WB to correct that. How do you know what color gel you are going to need without seeing the picture on a computer? Is there a way to know, like with florescent you will always use green, ect...?
    Here's the best resource to get you started. Window Green (or plus green) gels come in various densities. Take a look at the color of your ambient light and then take a guess on which density you need. The older and/or green the ambient the darker the gel you will need.

It's not rocket science and don't worry about getting an exact match. First, an exact match is not possible so, second, close is good enough!

Oh, and I don't know if you've seen/read about this before but when shooting under fluorescent lighting, you have to pay attention to your shutter speed. In the US, where the nominal frequency of AC power is 60Hz, you need to use shutter speeds of (1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/120). Anything else and you risk getting inconsistant color from the ambient lights. If you do a search of DGrin topics related to flourescent lighting and shutter speed, you should find a couple of threads discussing this.