Our New Dog - Wheaten Terrier Mix

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited November 27, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
My husband and I recently signed up as foster parents for a local pet adoption agency. We failed at our first attempt, deciding to keep this dog within about 2 days of bringing her home. She and our other dog are both 2 years old and they play all day long! The new one is "Josie" and we've been told she is a Wheaten Terrier mix. We think she looks like the shaggy dog from the movies, though darker color.

#1 - In keeping with my current artistic exploration

424335503_GRoBS-M.jpg

#2 - Outdoor portrait
424338565_Z3CyR-M.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Adorable!

FWIW, the "Shaggy Dog" from the movie of the same name is a Bearded Collie (we have one) - your newcomer looks like what is in BC land commonly called a "neardie", ie a dog which isn't obviously a Beardie, but looks like they may have some in their mix somewhere; her eyes and nose certainly suggest she might have some Beardie in her somewhere along the way (they come in brown, too)

For some info on the breed http://beardie.net/bcca/ (and they don't ALWAYS look like they do when all brushed out for showing!! They far more frequently look like adorable scruffmonsters, to wit our own guy (he's an old man now, and we keep his coat clipped to "puppy cut" to help keep it manageable)

(not a great photo - it was my first day with the 1.8 50mm and I was experimenting with low light with the only cooperative model in the house... lol)
    natlight08.JPG
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    What a cute dog...I would of kept her to thumb.gif
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Cute dog......I like your artistic effortthumb.gif...... I have tried it, but with not much success.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Thanks, all you dog lovers!

Diva - I definitely see the resemblance to the Beardie. Maybe I will have to get one of those DNA tests done and see what she has. Our other dog is even more of a mystery. Maybe I'll post her pic sometime.

Azzaro - I just started last week playing with my zoom and some long exposures. I saw a description in one of Brenda Tharp's books and gave it a try. Just pick a subject, set a fairly long shutter speed (I've used anywhere from 1.5sec to 1/30), click, and turn the zoom. I've tried it both in and out, starting at distance and starting up close. I've mostly used it on flowers; this was the first time with a creature. I've thrown away a LOT more than I have kept--but that's one of the benefits of digital!

Thanks, all!
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    My husband and I recently signed up as foster parents for a local pet adoption agency. We failed at our first attempt, deciding to keep this dog within about 2 days of bringing her home. She and our other dog are both 2 years old and they play all day long! The new one is "Josie" and we've been told she is a Wheaten Terrier mix. We think she looks like the shaggy dog from the movies, though darker color.

#1 - In keeping with my current artistic exploration
    #2 - Outdoor portrait

Awwwwwwwww she's cute, love the look on her face in image #2
    Look at those eyes iloveyou.gif how could a person not want to keep her,
    I probably would keep her too nod.gif

Well I adopted a cat last year, rather I should say she adopted me rolleyes1.gif
    We have a wonderful understanding, I do what she wants, and we all get on just fine rolleyes1.gif ... this cat is so well behaved I find it difficult to believe her owns didn't want her.

Enjoy your new pet, she looks adorable.. congratulations on your new family member clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Good looking animal. :D
    Nice use of photo effect. Did you do that in camera?
    Michael
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Yes, I did the effect on #1 in camera. I focused on the dog's face and zoomed out while the shutter clicked. I shot at f/36 and 1/2sec. You can see full EXIF in the image in the gallery. I read about this technique recently (thanks, Brenda Tharp) and tried it on some flowers and trees. Decided to try it on the dog and it actually worked nicely. No postprocessing.

Thanks!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com