Options

jpg size and quality from Lightroom export

Jim FeslerJim Fesler Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 25, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi,
I shoot in RAW, then tweak my images in Lightroom and Photoshop. To put them up on Smugmug, I "Export" the RAW files from Lightroom as jpg's and then bring into Smugmug. I'm looking for opinions/rules of thumb on the settings to use to export the jpgs from Lightroom. In Lightroom Export, I can set color space which I know should be SRGB, "Quality" which ranges from 0-100% and optionally "Image Sizing" which includes pixel and resolution settings. I'm looking for suggestions and explanations for creating:
A. jpgs good for printing up to 8 x 12" on Smugmug and
B. jpgs for web viewing only- no printing.

Of course there's the tradeoff between file size and efficient web viewing, and that's what I'm trying to understand better.
Thanks in advance for insights.
Jim

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I have a rule that i live by with my photos......save as large as possible.....for me not much use for a tiff......so save as large as possible in jpg.....if you do not it couldbe gone if you lose your raw file....upload that large jpg to smumug for safe keeping even if you donot want to show it off.....it is now archived across the SM network.......
    I have a working hd that I load all files from camera to (this has to exact copies) and I have another for finished product (after all post processing is done, this one also has 2 copies) . when these one of the pair hit 500gb then I archive all of them and start over with a new group of 6 , a lable on the out side of the external cases (Seagate FreeAgent Pros) is labeled by date (from to ) this is my system.

I know I went a bit futher than asked but also know how we archive our files is good also......others use raid and other metheods that work for them.....this seem so logical after reading Scott Kelby's book on LightRoom 2 that I cahnged it over....now eveything is in order and no need for dozens of files on the hdd....just a numbering system that the raws correspond to jps by numbers and keywords.....his book is full of great info.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Jim Fesler wrote:
    Hi,
    I shoot in RAW, then tweak my images in Lightroom and Photoshop. To put them up on Smugmug, I "Export" the RAW files from Lightroom as jpg's and then bring into Smugmug. I'm looking for opinions/rules of thumb on the settings to use to export the jpgs from Lightroom. In Lightroom Export, I can set color space which I know should be SRGB, "Quality" which ranges from 0-100% and optionally "Image Sizing" which includes pixel and resolution settings. I'm looking for suggestions and explanations for creating:
    A. jpgs good for printing up to 8 x 12" on Smugmug and
    B. jpgs for web viewing only- no printing.

Of course there's the tradeoff between file size and efficient web viewing, and that's what I'm trying to understand better.
    Thanks in advance for insights.
    Jim

A & B: Full size 100% jpgs every time.

You can set the maximum viewable size per gallery on SmugMug - the smaller sizes are generated for you.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I agree that it's generally best to save the least compressed .jpg possible. Memory's just too cheap any more. HOWEVER, I often will save a second, smaller jpg file just for emailing, at 1080x1080 at 72 dpi. Loads relly relly fast and looks fine on most monitors.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Jim FeslerJim Fesler Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    A & B: Full size 100% jpgs every time.

You can set the maximum viewable size per gallery on SmugMug - the smaller sizes are generated for you.
    Thanks, sounds like I should just go big on jpg's, which isn't really a problem of space. I didn't realize that by having a smaller allowable viewing size on Smugmug they would generate smaller, faster image sizes for viewing. At times I'd also like friends (not clients) to be able to download full size images which I don't think is possible if I choose a smaller viewing size, but I can work around that if necessary.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    Jim Fesler wrote:
    Thanks, sounds like I should just go big on jpg's, which isn't really a problem of space. I didn't realize that by having a smaller allowable viewing size on Smugmug they would generate smaller, faster image sizes for viewing. At times I'd also like friends (not clients) to be able to download full size images which I don't think is possible if I choose a smaller viewing size, but I can work around that if necessary.

All the sizes (S, M, L...) are generated regardless. The system even does custom sizes on the fly.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-photo-sizes
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    this is slightly off topic. . . I couldn't tell from your comments. . . you know about the lightroom plugin for smugmug right?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    this is slightly off topic. . . I couldn't tell from your comments. . . you know about the lightroom plugin for smugmug right?

This thing? I use it all the time.

I have to keep error trapping on because longer uploads usually generate some problems, but most of the time all of the pictures make it. It does make uploading to Smug a snap.
    Creativity's hard.