MC2 Advice please :)

RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited November 26, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi all.

First, thanks to all those who let me know my MC2 was not showing, I think that should be fixed now...

I've only had a chance to shoot twice (thanks clouds! :bluduh). I'm not particularly happy with either shot, although I'm getting closer to what I want. I'm going to try and re-shoot, but in the meantime wanted to see if anyone here could solve a mystery: My last two entries have looked pixel-y on DG and SM (but NOT on my comp desktop) :scratch I was getting nervous that it was my camera, but if you look at the entry below, even my signature in the corner looks fuzzy. I'm uploading from a Mac, using JPG and have uploaded both a huge file and a ~800x600 with no luck. Any thoughts?

Also...I had to work some color correction magic for this one because my camera has really bad bright corners (annoying), but I'm not sure if I succeeded. I'd love feedback if you're in the mood :)

423699339_fBJVi-L.jpg

Comments

• PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    I like your concept and the execution! I don't know if there is any way to make the figure show up slightly more...I'm viewing on my work monitor, which isn't very bright, but I can't really even see your siggy.

I've experienced and been baffled by the pixely thing too. You might try tweeking the sharpening settings that smugmug applies to your photos as you upload them - they're in the control panel. The color looks fine & appropriate to me.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Hi all.

Also...I had to work some color correction magic for this one because my camera has really bad bright corners (annoying), but I'm not sure if I succeeded. I'd love feedback if you're in the mood :)

Great comp!

It's a little neon blue for my taste, and I guess you could boost the contrast to show the silhuette a little bit more.

Your watermark is a bit dim, but no pixelation issues as far as I can see.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I like your concept and the execution! I don't know if there is any way to make the figure show up slightly more...I'm viewing on my work monitor, which isn't very bright, but I can't really even see your siggy.

I've experienced and been baffled by the pixely thing too. You might try tweeking the sharpening settings that smugmug applies to your photos as you upload them - they're in the control panel. The color looks fine & appropriate to me.

Thanks :) Tonight I'm going to try and calibrate my monitor and develop some standards. I'm working off a new comp and it's a laptop, so depending on the angle of the screen the pic looks either too dark, too light or just right :) As for the pixel-y-ness, although I didn't know SM sharpened photos (and am glad I now do), that setting was off when I checked, so I'm still not sure. I'll let you know if I figure something out though :)
  • RebeccaHelmRebeccaHelm Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Hmmm... I wonder, does this look any better? I have it linked from a different site (and made some contrast adjustment (and color, but it looks too blue now so I’ll work on color more later))
    n53902589_31119279_1740.jpg
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    On my cheaprolleyes1.gif Sony monitor at work, that's too bright and has raster lines, the first shot looks fine and I can see the siggie. At home the first shot looks much darker and the siggie isn't visible. The second shot looks a lot better on my home monitor, the siggie is also visible. I agree you might want to tone the blue down a litttle.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    On my monitor at home #2 looks much better than #1 with regard to contrast. I have a notebook computer at home. The silhouette really pops on the second one.

Nice pic and concept!!! thumb.gif