Traveling westbound...

bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited November 25, 2008 in Cameras
Excuse me if this is the wrong place, but I gave up trying to classify it...I spent about 15 minutes deciding between this and the Journeys forum!

Anyway, this Christmas, I'm traveling to California for 2 weeks and it's the first real traveling I've done with my camera. I only have about a zillion questions, but here are my biggies. First, my current equipment is in my sig. I also have a laptop and external HD, tripod (not anything fancy, but it will do if necessary...I'm a student, RRS is out of my league!), and a monopod.

I am not opposed to renting, especially since I can probably avoid shipping, but I'd like to avoid extra costs if possible.

First, are there any lenses really missing from this lineup? I know the 55-200 and the 70-200 really overlap, but it's a long story. Anyway, is there something missing that would either completely keep me from, or truly hinder me in taking pictures?

Second, I'm assuming carry on all the way for equipment. I am desperately hoping to have a good gear bag by Christmas, otherwise I might have to go get one or rent for this trip! Even if carrying on, with all the crazy restrictions, what is the best way to avoid problems? Any precautions to avoid losing data to a security scanner?

Third, what are the best sites to see near San Francisco and Monterey. We are doing roughly a week in each and although I'm sure the family has some touristy stuff planned, I do get a voice in the travel plans, so I can add a few spots if you guys and gals suggest them!

I tried doing some searches, but the only one regarding airline stuff was circa '05...things have changed just a BIT since then :-D Also, got some ideas as to places to visit, but I still thought I'd ask and see what I get!

Thanks everyone! I always get great answers when I post here and I'm sure I'll get nothing but the best this time as well!

~Nick
Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 25, 2008
    Nick,

Lots to see and do in and around that part of California, depending partly on how much you want to drive and your interests and time available.

I do wonder if you might like to have a super-wide zoom. There are some wonderful vista landscapes in that part of the country. I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and find that it works pretty well. It's also nice when you can't gain enough distance between yourself and the subject.

Since you have an 70-200mm, f2.8, it should work rather well with a 1.4x teleconverter in case you would like to do any nature and wildlife. The teleconverter also makes close-focus more practical.

I do think the 55-200mm lens would not be needed for the trip.

Are you happy with the Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-f5.6 kit lens?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jovittajovitta Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    traveling
    I went from California to New England and back four weeks ago using a 18"x13"x7" hard case inside a canon 50D. 70-200 f4. 16-35 2.8, the 580EX flash. light meter, My 4x6 filters and holder, a hard case w/ 6 memory cards it was tight, but it worked and a tripod in soft carring case. All of it was carried on without any problems no questions asked. It will go well for you. Jovitta
    PS and some of my cards had photos on them passing through the scanners no problems downloading photos when I got home. (cards are lextar Pro. don't know if it will make a difference or not.)
    BE YOURSELF FRIENDS WILL LIKE YOU FOR YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSONALITY AND STYLE
    http://jeffovittphotography.com
    Member; NANPA
    Equipment: Canon 5D, 1DS, 16-35 F2.8, 70-200 F4, 580EX Flash, Galen Rowell GND filters, Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter, Lee filter holder,Gitzo 2227 tripod & monfotto 3221 tripod, Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead,
    Epson 3880 pro pinter, CS5, Nik software complete edition, Photomatix.