Clay time

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in People
Samantha and I had some fun with clay this afternoon as the light was fading.

All with the nikkor 28-70mm wide open.

Carrot anyone?

424537978_9Tc48-XL.jpg

Pancakes?

424537894_xpTu2-XL.jpg

Do I really have to clean this up?

424537863_zy4MA-XL.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    Absolutely precious!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2008
    picking up on the conversation from your other post, that last one looks just about perfect as far as exposure and color balance. slightly darker/ warmer than the others. "Spot on," as they say down under.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Are these in your garage again? Appears to be from the highlights in her eyes in the 2nd shot.

As a series these work really well but I will provide comments as stand alone shots

Her hand really bothers me in the 1st shot. There is a slight blur and it is so blurred it looks plastic and fake. I suggest cropping that shot quite a bit tighter..... 4x6 portrait maybe.

2nd one is very nice. I think overall the best because of the context.

3rd one.... I like it better cropped to eliminate the clay. Similar to the first one the clay is too blurred to really add much.

I need to clear out the garage and try your techniques though. I love the lighting you get. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    424537863_zy4MA-S.jpg
    On this one, I think I prefer it if the space at the bottom is cropped out, like so:
    20081126-1gwn4ptby59erirmq41p7b27qf.jpg
    because the space/clay is taking too much attention away from her.

You've titled it "Do I really have to clean this up?" but I don't get that feeling from the picture. It's more of a "I didn't succeed in making what I wanted to make" kind of thing, you know what I mean?

I actually rarely title my photos for this reason lol3.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Oh my gosh, #3 made me burst out laughing. Cute capture and I like the comp with the clay (different strokes they say mwink.gif ). #2 is precious and while I like #1, the angle is almost too vertical and gives me vertigo. rolleyes1.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Are these in your garage again? Appears to be from the highlights in her eyes in the 2nd shot.

As a series these work really well but I will provide comments as stand alone shots

Her hand really bothers me in the 1st shot. There is a slight blur and it is so blurred it looks plastic and fake. I suggest cropping that shot quite a bit tighter..... 4x6 portrait maybe.

2nd one is very nice. I think overall the best because of the context.

3rd one.... I like it better cropped to eliminate the clay. Similar to the first one the clay is too blurred to really add much.

I need to clear out the garage and try your techniques though. I love the lighting you get. thumb.gif

Thanks, Aaron.

I actually got out of the garage for these and shot them in my backyard on my pool deck. These were actually just grab shots of her playing on a colorful table we have.

I appreciate your comments. I often debate about the use of such a shallow DOF. It's fun for me to isolate her eyes, but perhaps, as you've mentioned, this leaves the rest of the image out of context (#1).

I'm trying to elevate these shots out of the realm of my typical snapshots at f7. If I leave the clay in focus in #3, the shot would not have as much impact to my eye. If I crop the clay out, I don't tell much of a story.ne_nau.gif

Perhaps a compromise in f stops would be better.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Mitch - these are soooo precious. I really like the last one. I think Ivar's crop of #3 is a very nice improvement - focusing attention on her expression as it does. She is sooooo cute!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    So, if it were me, the last one would be printed and hung by now. It is sooo cute!

Great job catching those every day moments!