BB: First shots with my new 70-200 2.8

du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
edited December 1, 2008 in Sports
The UPS man came yesterday and delivered my new (well, new to me) Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L lens (non-IS). It's HUGE.

Anyway. Had the opportunity to shoot a game tonight, so I took it along and here's what I got. Overall, I'm very happy. A few things to tweak as I'm going, but I'm very happy.

424681803_P6Yok-L.jpg

424681917_sJD5V-L.jpg

She had a rough night. Just got back from a broken collar bone injury this summer, and possibly fractured her ankle tonight.
424681605_KcXF5-L.jpg

This is a co-worker's daughter.
424681530_jgvmA-L.jpg

424681716_VA7g9-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 25, 2008
    Congrats on the new glass. wings.gif Got one coming in January (although will be the 4.0). I borrowed one of these a month back and almost couldn't give it back. The 2.8 is heavy, but oh so worth it for sports and indoor shots such as these.

Looks like it is working good for you. BTW, your 1st and 4th posted pics are the same shot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    yeah - a new toy :D Looks like you're off to a good start. That's too bad about #22; hope she's ok.

One comment on the bb action - if you look at most action shots where the players are driving the ball, you almost always see them w/ the ball at the hand - either at the beginning of the down stroke or just receiving it from the bounce. I guess it just seems to come off appearing more powerful or more in control. For example:

284900511_fAG5m-M-1.jpg

Have fun w/ the new lens. BTW, that's what I shot the above w/ as well and I like it for bb (although, you can always lust for faster glass mwink.gif )

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    BTW, your 1st and 4th posted pics are the same shot.

Whoops... 11doh.gif

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll change 'em.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    That's too bad about #22; hope she's ok.

Yeah... I hope so too.
    One comment on the bb action - if you look at most action shots where the players are driving the ball, you almost always see them w/ the ball at the hand - either at the beginning of the down stroke or just receiving it from the bounce. I guess it just seems to come off appearing more powerful or more in control.

Thanks for the feedback and the tip. This is the first time I've really shot basketball. Well, I did one game last year at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, but that was with my old Rebel and a 70-300 Non IS Non Anything... This is definitely an upgrade.

d8

• OnDeck29OnDeck29 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    New toys are great, just got a d90...
    shot some basketball last night - iso 3200 white balance on "white" fluorescent and shutters speeds between 320 and 640

shot with nikon d 90 and 80-200 f2.8

here is a sample - i'll add some more

how do you do multiple jpeg files?

i was up in the top row of the bottom set of bleachers in the corner of the gym - about 8 feet higher than the rim on this one
    edited November 26, 2008
    How do you add multiple files on 1 reply?
    sample #2
    edited November 26, 2008
    last one

also.. jpegs are as is - no photoshop adjustments
    and no cropping

i was in the bleachers again for this one - a little higher than rim level
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    du8die wrote:
    The UPS man came yesterday and delivered my new (well, new to me) Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L lens (non-IS). It's HUGE.
    I'm amazed by these; I have a 70-200 f/2.8, but switched to a 50 f/1.4 (shooting at 1.8 or 2.0) for hoop. I just didn't think the light would be sufficient at 2.8, but I guess I was wrong. Probably doesn't matter now, my son gave up hoop!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    Congrats on the new glass. wings.gif Got one coming in January (although will be the 4.0). I borrowed one of these a month back and almost couldn't give it back. The 2.8 is heavy, but oh so worth it for sports and indoor shots such as these.

Looks like it is working good for you. BTW, your 1st and 4th posted pics are the same shot.

Heavy but worth every single penny (if you can swing it, I understand some people are on a budget).

I had a 1D Mark II and with that lens on it was too heavy, so I ditched the camera body, slapped the glass on a 20D and was sooo much happier (or my wrists were). I didnt want to shoot with a monopod and lose that flexbility.

I have had my 70-200 f/2.8 for 4 years now, I have worked it like a dog, dropped it once (recently) had it repaired (and serviced as well a couple of years ago) and it still works like the day I bought it (minus scratches from me running around arenas). So worth the money!