Am I crazy? 30D/1DMk2

tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
edited November 26, 2008 in Cameras
Here is my situation. I am a college photo editor for a newspaper. I also just love photography in general. Specifically though I love Sports photography.

Currently (as my signature claims) I have

30D with 28-70mm 2.8L 70-200 2.8L IS and 50mm 1.8
my job affords me with a Flash and a 17-50mm lens (useless with 1D2)

I am thinking about upgrading my body b/c the 30D is useful in many situations but kind of behind the curve for sports it seems, Not getting as many keepers as I'd like.

My options seem to be:

Upgrade to 40/50D for 200$ - 400$ difference from my current 30D.

Otherwise I can get one of these many 1D2's out there right now for around 1300/1400$.

Those of you that have the 1D series am I crazy to want this "old" camera instead of the newer 40/50d's which seem to pack a lot of the same things.

Main things that are swaying me are:
A Camera that will last me a long time (1D2)
Professional AF - no one seemed to complain about AF with the 1D2
Portrait Grip Built in (more solid, designed cohesively.)

Are there things that will bother me you think about the old camera that are already taken care of in the 30D so that i wouldn't even be expecting them...?
5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited November 26, 2008
    I still have, and use, the Canon 1D MKII. AF speed and accuracy is still amazing and durability is excellent. Overall responsiveness is also excellent. Coupled with the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L (either one) it is just superb in good light and very good even in poor light.

It is a heavy beast and the battery costs are much higher and they don't tend to last as many years of service as the newer battery types. Still, that is a small price to pay for the overall system.

If you use ISO 3200 be prepared to use a noise reduction software to process the files.

The user interface will definitely take some getting used to, coming from the 30D.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    As usual Ziggy said it best. I actually have a 1DII and a 30D. The 1D is primary, with the 30D as a backup, for income producing events. It's the exact opposite for everyday, walkaround shooting. That why I can hand it to my 9YO to shoot.

A friend has a 1DIIN on ebay right now. Check it out at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=330289110052

Cheers
    Craig
    http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    I have always been a believer in older bodies. Many people feel that if a newer one is out the old one is obsolete. A few years ago people praised the 1DmkII cameras to the stars. So, we still should:D
    If you have the money - go for it! I think you will be pleased with it.