Several of My Creative Fun Self Portraits - Add Yours!

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in People
I posted some of these in another thread and thought that since I like coming up with new fun ideas for self portraits I'd start a new thread.

If you have a fun creative idea for a self-shot, by all means add to this thread!

These started because of a combination of 1) me wanting to learn about different camera settings a year or two ago when I started photography, and 2) just needed some self portraits on my website.

The 'spinning' slow shutter shot, indoors with flash:
416240603_V6DnL-M.jpg

I like these in theory but need to get a clearer shot of me with a less distracting background:
328306067_yHi8Z-S.jpg405417007_XxeJN-S.jpg

This one is kind of abstract, but ended up looking neat. It was my first and only try at this - the pic was taken outdoors around lunch on a bright day w/ no clouds, 10 second exposure while walking, holding the camera out with my right hand (on a tripod), shooting through a polarizer, 8xND, and some GND's in a cokin holder. The further away I am when I look at this pic, the more you can really tell it looks like me:
415959612_FKrvx-L.jpg
Because of the 'further away the better it looks' phenomenon, I've had thoughts of getting it printed large (20x30) just to see the effect standing 10+ ft away or so. Thoughts?

Another take on the spinning self portrait. This one was done outdoors, no flash, overexposed to get the eyes to show up:
416472612_VApum-M.jpg

I love cars, so I have a few "camera in the passenger floorboard" self shots. I actually don't like either of these pics, but again just posting them to demonstrate the theory - I'll keep trying on this pose:
301572557_aAXGH-S.jpg277917850_FgRaH-S-1.jpg

BTW, none of these had any weird post processing done other than mild contrast correction in google's free version of picasa.

Bottom line, these were a way to help me ease into self portraits in a fun creative way. As always, feel free to post any comparisons, C&C, questions, etc. I'm here to learn and have fun! :thumb
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Very neat ideas! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Good to try that one out. clap.gif :ivar
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    Thanks!

I find myself taking these 'spinning' shots all the time now...

427531270_3xwqX-M.jpg
    John in Georgia
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Light painting is too fun...

434433790_B8Yeb-S.jpg
    John in Georgia
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    jhelms wrote: