Fascists

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
edited November 28, 2008 in People
Over the past weekend, the extreme right wing in Madrid held their annual demonstration commemorating the death of Francisco Franco. Most of the old guard fascists are very old, but they have some support from younger skinhead types as well as others who do not look the part.

425070986_WFuJV-L.jpg

There were probably a thousand people at the demonstration, but I'm guessing that about half were just curiosity seekers.

425072392_wwJpK-L.jpg

They have not been a significant political force within Spain for at least twenty years, but they still freak me out some. They remind me how thin the veneer of civilization really is.

425070137_3dgtg-L.jpg
The speaker below is Blas Piñar, one of the leaders of the extreme right in post-Franco times. I don't recognize the guys in the lower left, but they look like they might have been extras in a horror movie from the thirties. Or maybe in the real horrors of the thirties.

425068879_DRrCb-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Richard,
    thank you for much for sharing! thumb.gif

The last picture, the capture of the guy with Nikon, black leather jacket, and his left pinkie off, the one who looks like a gestapo tug, is absolutely priceless..rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    Freaking Scary People
    People like these are freaking scary. They seem to crawl out of the woodwork no matter where you live.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2008
    And to make it worse, in #4, those creepy guys you mentioned look like a 2 headed monster. I think it is because the front guy has a gray sweater under his green coat to match the gray coat the guy in the back is wearing.

Thanks for sharing, and keeping us informed. I'd be interested in what the guys were saying, though I do have to confess my skin is crawling.
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    What a great series.

I was almost fooled without reading your words. A cool series in deed.clap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 27, 2008
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Heather: Your skin would crawl even more if you knew what they were saying. Creepy, creepy, creepy. I was pretty upset by the time I got home.
  • bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Heather: Your skin would crawl even more if you knew what they were saying. Creepy, creepy, creepy. I was pretty upset by the time I got home.
    Unfortunately all countries and cultures have it's monsters. Just imagine that some countries have these monsters running them. Just a blink of the eye or morals and they appear.
    Good luck, bsvirginianheadscratch.gif
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Looking at these photos reminded me of a quote from our intrepid President’s brother Jeb. And I quote: "I want to thank the president of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceType>Republic</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName>Spain</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> for his friendship with the <st1:country-region><st1:place>United States</st1:place></st1:country-region>." <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    If I remember correctly, <st1:country-region><st1:place>Spain</st1:place></st1:country-region> has not been a Republic since the 1930s. Buy hey; you can’t expect a man with future Presidential aspirations to trouble himself with the “minor” distinctions between a Republic, <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Fascist</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>, or Constitutional Monarchy.<o:p></o:p>

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2008
    Unfortunately all countries and cultures have it's monsters. Just imagine that some countries have these monsters running them. Just a blink of the eye or morals and they appear.
    Good luck, bsvirginianheadscratch.gif

Uh, don't look now but:
    I think many gov'ts ascribe to a hidden agenda that would take up this mantle in a heartbeat if left unchecked! That being said, thanks Richard for bringing this to light (the cheapest antiinfective).
    Yeah, its all creepy and such, but I try not to forget the past and with that their right to free assembly in this country and yours. Also that is another cherished right I do support, and have served my time for. Fortunately most times these folks eschew the intelligencia or the uber mench.

tom
    tom wise
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited November 28, 2008
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, Bob, RIP and Tom. As I mentioned, these guys currently hold no political sway in Spain, which is now a rather progressive state. They are ghosts in the attic, but serve as reminder that we need to be vigilant lest they come to life again.